WWE Raw 2nd April 2012 Discussion *SPOILERS*

• Moderators
I don't think the gimmick will work if I'm honest. If he'd just come out without all the suit stuff, and looked like a fucking monster then they would've had a chance, but he looked stupid and the entrance almost had me bored before he'd even done anything.

He's more than capable in the ring but they'll need to book him a lot better for him to be a success this time round.

That's bollocks. When Umaga turned up my first reaction was "what is this stupid cartoon racist bullshit?", but he turned out awesome. The gimmick is silly but workable, and he has no one to blame but himself if he ends up doing shit.

Also, I'm guessing you must have watched him in Japan..? I didn't, and right now I have very little evidence of him being "more than capable" in the ring. "Just about capable" I would stand by. Maybe.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
No doubt the $5 million will rise to around $8+ after bonuses and royalties.

I personally hope he sticks around after a year.

I doubt hes earning anywhere near that amount. I'd say $2-3 million (based on what he was earning with the UFC). $8million is more than Stone Cold was earning in his prime

He's earning less than Cena and less than he would if he did two UFC fights. So you're talking roughly a couple of million, guaranteed (if he produces numbers, he'll obviously get a cash for PPVs/merch etc).

I don't think the gimmick will work if I'm honest. If he'd just come out without all the suit stuff, and looked like a fucking monster then they would've had a chance, but he looked stupid and the entrance almost had me bored before he'd even done anything.

He's more than capable in the ring but they'll need to book him a lot better for him to be a success this time round.

That's bollocks. When Umaga turned up my first reaction was "what is this stupid cartoon racist bullshit?", but he turned out awesome. The gimmick is silly but workable, and he has no one to blame but himself if he ends up doing shit.

Also, I'm guessing you must have watched him in Japan..? I didn't, and right now I have very little evidence of him being "more than capable" in the ring. "Just about capable" I would stand by. Maybe.

It's not bollocks if it's an opinion, is it? It just didn't have the impact for me. I found the entrance slow, I found the suit etc completely pointless and it didn't have an aura surrounding it. It just didn't work for me.

Umaga was intense, he looked like a fucking monster, and like he could destroy you. And he was damn well booked that way sometimes.

Like I said, they'll need to book him better. The match was overly long and didn't do him any favours. I have seen some of his Japan work yes, but if I'm honest I thought he looked worse this Monday compared to anything he ever did in his previous WWE stint. They had a chance to make him into a dominant guy but it wasn't as good as it could've been for me.

• Paid Members

Tensai wasn't great but it could work. I'm glad they are atleast debut-ing guys with proper gimmicks now as opposed to just sending bland gimmickless shits from FCW onto the main shows. There's too many bland fuckers, every guy should have a gimmick and it definitely seems to be going that way.

• Moderators

It's not bollocks if it's an opinion, is it? It just didn't have the impact for me. I found the entrance slow, I found the suit etc completely pointless and it didn't have an aura surrounding it. It just didn't work for me.

Umaga was intense, he looked like a fucking monster, and like he could destroy you. And he was damn well booked that way sometimes.

Like I said, they'll need to book him better. The match was overly long and didn't do him any favours. I have seen some of his Japan work yes, but if I'm honest I thought he looked worse this Monday compared to anything he ever did in his previous WWE stint. They had a chance to make him into a dominant guy but it wasn't as good as it could've been for me.

I interpreted your post as a "they're burying him with bad booking" statement, which is what I thought was bollocks. It appears that's not what you were saying.

All I meant is that the gimmick is completely workable, and it's up to him to make it work. I'm pretty sure it must've been at least partly his idea so it's on him.

Calling that match 'bad booking' is really splitting hairs. He went out there and annhilated a guy who got no offense in. If he looked shit (to you) doing it, then it's entirely his fault.

I'm in two minds about Tensai. The gimmick sets him apart from everyone else so he's not just a big guy with tattoos in an ocean of tattooed big guys, he's got an interesting look with the Kanji facepaint and the poison mist into the claw was a great visual. The match itself wasn't great, I hope that it's just debut nerves but the match didn't seem to flow all that well, squash matches can be fantastic when done right but Tensai/A-Ry just seemed to go on for far too long and seemed more like a series of big moves than a match. As I said, I hope that it was nerves as there's definitely a place in the WWE for Tensai but I think they've dodged a bullet in not booking him the rumoured program with Cena.

• Paid Members
Erm I did, and I was surprised with most people saying he looked great.

Most? No. Very mixed, including several people calling him shit and a few OK's.

I enjoyed Lord Tensai more, he looked great

Lord Tensai was fucking amazing.

Lord Tensai was shit. Didn't give a fuck about A-Train when he was around before, but to read Power Slam you'd think he'd turned into Shawn Michaels or something. He's had a bit of a shave, that was a novelty for a few minutes. After that, I lost interest.

Lord Tensai was OK. Delivered everything well and looked decent. I like the "thick" body type in a wrestler, though he was verging on porky. I didn't like the generic heel scowl between moves. That isn't his fault. That's Vince 101 when it comes to monster heels. I always thought Umaga got over because he was more dynamic and interesting. He didn't do the usual "march around like a robot and scowl" stuff. A small correction that could take this up a notch

Tensai's debut was brilliant, I hope he gets involved in something big sooner rather than later.

Thought Lord Tensai's squash was the worst squash I've seen in a long time.

lord tensai looked ok for his comeback match, looks like he's keeping the baldo bomb as a finisher but maybe using the claw as a back up finish

I dont really care about A-Tensai whatever he's called. He's just really Fat Albert.

Lord Tensai is fucking stupid. The gimmick is shite and so was A-Train.

- Tensai looked good crushing A Ry, Riley seem to be over selling a bit, but the whole presentation was good.

On a sour note, Albert's still shit. You fuckers who said he was good now lied to me. He's a big fat waste of everything.

Tensai will be the next star, enough said!

I enjoyed the Lord Tensai piece, although he still is not a crisp worker - The "Crush" claw is back and Riley soled it superbly. He needs to to have a breakout year!

Lord Tensai was fucking awesome, though Riley being used *literally* as enhancement talent is a slap in the face to The Miz after the tremendous job he did getting the guy over in 2011. What a waste that whole storyline was if they had no plans for Riley afterwards. It was nice that the Train got 'welcome back' chants and a good response all round - good idea debuting him in front of the post-Mania crowd made up of more hardcore longterm fans than your average episode of Raw, and more likely to remember him.

• Paid Members

I was sat next to a black American lass at Raw on Monday and she went batshit mental for Jack Swagger, her screams nearly pierced my eardrums. It was really quite bizarre. She was also well into Ziggler and A-Ry. Must have had a thing for the jock type.

So, the Tensai thing. It was weird hearing Cole say that Tensai was a returning former WWE superstar now known as Tensai. That means that they're implicitly acknowledging that he's A-Train, which he clearly is as he looks just like A-Train. But then they keep going on about him being an unknown quantity during the match, as if A-Ry couldn't just have looked up a couple of A Train matches.

It's strange to have acknowledged it at all, but having done so it really fucked up the rest of the gimmick presentation for me.

Archived