Lack of WM Build

AJS269

It took me about 10 minutes to get the 5 matches (I did not check WWE.com). Not a good sign!

So what matches are missing?

For sure a Diva's match - Glamazon Vs Tamina perhaps? Although I am waiting for Natalya and Kharma to feature in the Divas division.

Randy Orton and Kane are looking like something is building - shame as Orton Barret was looking to be a good feud.

Will the tag titles even be mentioned at Mania?

Looking at the confirmed card for Wrestlemania 28 with less than a month to go, I was shocked to see there was only 5 confirmed matches.

Has the fact that WWE already have 4 cast iron main event matches hurt the rest of the card with a lack of build?

Admitedly there is unlikely to be any buys on the back of say Cody Rhodes vs The Big Show, or whatever the match coming out of this Teddy Long, Johnny Ace GM feud or even whatever diva's match comes about (if one happens at all) but still would it hurt to have a litle build into the matches for the biggest show of the year?

I'll have to politely disagree. Whether or not it has been good and entertaining build up is another story, but Teddy Long vs Mr Excitement has been brewing for a long time and Cody vs Big Show has been going since the Raw after EC. Same as last year really? Unless i'm wrong, Cody only challenged Rey a few weeks before mania and same with Orton vs Punk although the storylines extended back to Jan. and lets not forget The thrown together Corre vs the rest match that was added. plus one match this year has been announced a while year in advance!

The only match i feel hasn't had much build is Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan with the only thing happening for 2 weeks was Sheamus throwing DB back in the ring against Punk. Apart from that, the build up has been pretty good, I'm not excited for Orton vs Kane but I'm excited for the rest. As long as the Rock and Cena come to blows before mania I reckon the build will be a success.

• Paid Members
Christ poor Miz. He's had the biggest drop of importance at Wrestlemania since King Kong Bundy. Has anyone ever plummeted from one Mania high to an even worse low?

Poor Ric Flair hasn't wrestled in front of a proper crowd in 4 years :( Now that's a low.

Yokozuna went from 2 World Title matches on one night to a tag title win.

• Paid Members

Actually just remembered poor Demolition Smash was winning his 3rd Tag Title and defeating Andre the Giant while recieving one of the biggest pops of his career at the skydome, to losing a match to the Chinese at Mania VII in a match where half the front row fucked off. Awful.

• Paid Members

Yeah, just going from the final match on the show, and discounting people who'd left the promotion or were injured, the worst are Bundy and Slaughter, who both went into 6 or 8 mans. Benoit went into a 6 man, but it was MITB. Orton was fairly bad, going into a throwaway three-way.

If it happens, Miz would be the first person to go from main event to not on the show (while available), though I'm sure he'll be in the GMs match.

• Paid Members

Lex Luger went from WWF title match, where a lot of people thought he was the stone wall winner, to wrestling the Harris Twins the following year, in the opener. Bundy was from a different time period. He knew his role. The heels come in, work with Hogan and then take their rightful place in the midcard (Bundy, Kamala, One Man Gang, Boss Man etc). For me, Benoit, Bundy and Slaughter took a massive drop because thats the natural process of how these type of characters had to go. There was only one way for them to go after reaching those heights. Luger was in the opener because he'd died on his arse, and poor Miz is in the opener, because they seem to hate the name for a thousand different reasons (Survivor Series bombing, Maryse leaving and burying to promotion, killing R-Truth and others).

Was listening to a podcast this week (LAW rewiew a raw) the presenter predicted a Santino Marella v Miz match. I liked the idea Miz goes from main eventing Wrestlemania and winning one year to losing to Santino the next year. Works for me. Santino's still not confirmed for the General Manager match. They way Miz is going they may as well finish him on the big stage.

• Paid Members
Looking at the confirmed card for Wrestlemania 28 with less than a month to go, I was shocked to see there was only 5 confirmed matches.

Has the fact that WWE already have 4 cast iron main event matches hurt the rest of the card with a lack of build?

Admitedly there is unlikely to be any buys on the back of say Cody Rhodes vs The Big Show, or whatever the match coming out of this Teddy Long, Johnny Ace GM feud or even whatever diva's match comes about (if one happens at all) but still would it hurt to have a litle build into the matches for the biggest show of the year?

Nope, I'd rather the majority of TV time was spent adding interest and story to the 4-5 key matches that are likely to actually be worth a damn, thanks. Better that way than trying to split the 4 hours a week trying to build up 8-9 things at the same time and actually devaluing the whole lot.

Archived