Hobbies and pastimes you had as a child...

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members
A big hobby that hit our school was CB Radio, not sure if this craze was popular elsewhere (I know Pilkington had one), but around 95-97ish CB was a massive thing growing up.

Hurling abuse at the young farmers and/or truckers, then just generally dicking about chatting to people at school. Uber fucking dull and pointless looking back, but the hours invested in that shit by not just me, but around 20 other of my school goers was staggering!

QSK?

CB Radio was HUGE in Glasgow around 1995-96. Anybody remember "Joe Outlaw" that used to sit on Channel 19 all day? ("Better signal than Radio Clyde!" he used to boast due to the fact he was at the top of those Gallowgate high flats).

One of my fave teen memories was the drunkard challenging some trucker to come up to his door and "take his set-up". After five minutes of arguments, it goes quiet. Joe continues talking about something else, or singing some Elvis, and then you heard a massive bang and it was supposedly somebody booting his door down to take his CB stuff. Mental sounding that day. Outlaw was never on again after that. so they must have indeed thieved his stuff.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trains, obsessed with Trains as a child. I loved looking at the model railway type magazines with these amazing model villages people had created. It made me actually find a reason to envy Pete Waterman.

Model railways and shit tied a little bit in with the Warhammer modelling for us. My mate

• Paid Members

Fencing was my sport of choice as a youngster. I was pretty decent at it (considering I was the youngest, and smallest in the class by a considerable margin), and ended up teaching it in my late teens to the local Boys Brigade. I wish I'd kept at it now.

I too did the Citadel miniatures thing. Mostly Ultramarines, but when I got Space Hulk (the original version, with the Deathwing and Genestealer expansion packs), I fancied a change so did one squad of Deathwing, and one of Iron Hands. I do still have them in the loft, but there were some "injuries" sustained in various house moves, so there's a lot of loose arms and combat blades rattling around. I might have to round up a couple of old mates and have a game sometime.

I did a spot of theatre, but I was shit, so I stopped when I was 17.

Generally though, it was music that took up a lot of my time from the age of 14 until I was about 28. I really wish I had the ability and motivation that I had back then, as that's something I miss a lot. I keep buying bits of kit under the pretence that it'll spur me into doing something, but it never does. I don't really get on with modern gear though. Protools is bloody awful to use, and I never did anything other than tinker with it.

Pretty similar story to the rest of you lads,I played hurling,gaelic football and football/soccer from the age of 5 til I was about 14.I was either in training or playing a match 5 out of 7 days every week,I was decent enough at hurling and gaelic and represented my county a fair few times too.Then me and my brother got a PS1 for christmas in 96 or 97 and I gave up real sports for Fifa RTWC 98 and WWF Warzone,as well as for crisps and cheap tesco cola.I was a chubby little bastard until I luckily got tall when I was about 17.

Also used to do a good bit of coarse fishing with our old local youth club who used to take us on weekends fishing down the country,but me and my mates gave that up to spend our friday and saturday nights knacker drinking cider and whatever else we could get our hands on up in our local park,lying about our imaginary sexual conquests and listening to rubbish dance music.

• Paid Members

Surprised no one said they did magic, thought loads of little boys gave that a crack then gave up when they realised being any good requires thousands of hours of practice and you can never tell if people are actually impressed or just humouring you when you show them your shit tricks. Sure happened with me, but from 8 til about 12 I was pretty into it.

Any other hobbies I had as a youngster I'm pretty much still into. There's a fair few things I enjoy doing for myself, by myself just because I enjoy it, I feel sorry for people who don't have that.

*edit* When I say magic I mean stupid tricks and stuff, not witchcraft & black magic unfortunately.

• Paid Members
Surprised no one said they did magic, thought loads of little boys gave that a crack then gave up when they realised being any good requires thousands of hours of practice and you can never tell if people are actually impressed or just humouring you when you show them your shit tricks. Sure happened with me, but from 8 til about 12 I was pretty into it.

You can add me to that one. My Uncle used to do a magician act for kids parties, and a close up routine for corporate gigs, so I was his assistant for a couple of years when I was 13-14.

It earned me the odd fiver, and I got to meet people like Jonathon Pendragon, Ali Bongo and Jerry Sadowitz.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he was committed/sectioned/whatever after having a breakdown and pulling a gun out during an argument with Charlotte. I think he was actually charged with attempted murder afterwards too. :(

While I'm in a magical mood...

Archived