Hobbies and pastimes you had as a child...

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members
I used to love drawing aswell right from when I was really young up until about 13/14. Loads of people said I was really good but I just stopped doing it for no real reason.

I find the only time I draw now is when I'm on the phone for ages and my mind wanders. I don't even realize I'm doing it and if there's a pen and something to draw on anywhere near the vicinity of the phone I turn into Rolf Harris and draw all sorts of stuff on it. It's got me in the shit a few times though. I once hung up the phone and discovered I'd done a cartoon of what appeared to be the dog off the Churchill ads smoking a spliff on my sister's college folder. It could have been worse, my mom had written a condolence card to a neighbour and it was right next to the folder. Needless to say, after that incident all pens were removed from the coffee table.

I got in trouble in school a few times for my doodling. It didn't help my jotters and folders were covered in cartoons of my teachers and other randoms naked, doing some awful sex acts and the like. I stopped when my English teacher told me to show and explain to the class what I was drawing (my mate and I were chuckling away like the young idiots we were). It was a picture of my mate having a wank over my English teacher (and her old saggy tits, with extra sag), whilst she serviced the hairy French teacher. My cheeks are still red from that hell.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A big hobby that hit our school was CB Radio, not sure if this craze was popular elsewhere (I know Pilkington had one), but around 95-97ish CB was a massive thing growing up.

Hurling abuse at the young farmers and/or truckers, then just generally dicking about chatting to people at school. Uber fucking dull and pointless looking back, but the hours invested in that shit by not just me, but around 20 other of my school goers was staggering!

QSK?

• Paid Members

From 16 to 19 I was Martial Arts crazy. Spent most evenings at Master Toddys in Manchester taking whatever classes were available. Monday Ninjutsu, Tuesday Gung Fu, Wednesday Jujitsu, Thursday Judo, Friday Tae Kwon Do. Lived and breathed it.

My gaming is limited to boardgames these days. Used to be a big D&D and CoC player, spending weekends on campaigns, along with minature and normal wargames. Not painted any for a while, I have loads waiting there, but never seem to have the time.

I never got into Karate but I went to both Boxing and Thai kickboxing in my teens. I was really enthusiastic when I started Boxing class at 13 but by the time I was 15 I couldn't be arsed as much. By then my time was spent on girls and drinking. Plus I had all the usual GCSE/coursework stuff going on and I just fell out of it completely.

Then I took up Thai boxing when I left school, mainly because I liked watching it and wanted to get in shape. I enjoyed it but once I got a job on a building site with my uncle I'd come home knackered and didn't fancy getting kicked in the legs. I still went for a few months but I had my first long term girlfriend around that time and I jacked it in not long after.

It's a shame because if I'd stuck at the Boxing/Thai training I'd have loved to give MMA a go later on but I'm 26 now and I've left it too late. If I stayed with it I think I'd enjoy it even more now but I binned it off when other things cropped up and I do kind of regret that.

I did boxing in my teens and knocked it on the head, because of GCSE's. I only started MMA a bit before my 30th birthday. Obviously UFC aren't going to come knocking my door down, but I do enjoy doing it now, mostly because there's so many different aspects to it with the wrestling/grappling really being my favourite.

The alldayer football game, living in the bum-end of nowhere meant there wasnt that much else to do, so when one was set up, it went on and on and on. Plenty of green space to play down 'the wreck' as well

Building den's and such like and playing on the various building sites that started popping up

Judo

I had an interest in trains, but not trainspotting, used to love going on the old steam trains on the Severn Valley Railway, Bitton Steam Railway and Toddington steam railway among countless others, but grew out of that as I got older

• Moderators
I used to love drawing aswell right from when I was really young up until about 13/14. Loads of people said I was really good but I just stopped doing it for no real reason.

I find the only time I draw now is when I'm on the phone for ages and my mind wanders. I don't even realize I'm doing it and if there's a pen and something to draw on anywhere near the vicinity of the phone I turn into Rolf Harris and draw all sorts of stuff on it. It's got me in the shit a few times though. I once hung up the phone and discovered I'd done a cartoon of what appeared to be the dog off the Churchill ads smoking a spliff on my sister's college folder. It could have been worse, my mom had written a condolence card to a neighbour and it was right next to the folder. Needless to say, after that incident all pens were removed from the coffee table.

I got in trouble in school a few times for my doodling. It didn't help my jotters and folders were covered in cartoons of my teachers and other randoms naked, doing some awful sex acts and the like. I stopped when my English teacher told me to show and explain to the class what I was drawing (my mate and I were chuckling away like the young idiots we were). It was a picture of my mate having a wank over my English teacher (and her old saggy tits, with extra sag), whilst she serviced the hairy French teacher. My cheeks are still red from that hell.

Haha.. Brilliant. I used to draw constantly in school also. One day my book got taken off me in class and my teacher was so disturbed by the contents that she passed it on to the school Chaplain. Who in turn sent it off to a psychologist and had a chat with me. I laughed whilst trying to pretend to be sincere. I just wanted my book back. I never did get it back though..

My drawing wasn't sexual, it was just quite violent. But really stupid cartoon violence... Like, the drawing I was doing at the time was a mean biker gang running over old people.

Other childhood hobbies included Warhammer also like many others here. Also, on a similar level of fantasy nerd-dom, Magic the Gathering cards.

I also liked tring to write stuff in Q Basic, but I was shit at that.

Used to do lots of different things when I was younger. I was fortunate I was living in a village with not too much traffic surrounded by as much green land as far as the eye could see that pretty much every child locally had their own bike from when they were about 8 or 9 years old to get everywhere and I rode mine to football training, to primary school, to the park (fitting lights on for night time riding) and even neighbouring villages that were a near 20 mile round trip. Don't see as many now, probably because with much more increased traffic on the roads it isn't as safe as it was then, not to mention parents being more protective in case their children fall off and get hurt or really think there is a paedo around every corner, which is a shame as the long summer evenings here in June & July, especially when it wasn't raining were fun to enjoy.

Had a passing interest in astronomy too, one Christmas my parents bought me a telescope complete with some basic maps and wallcharts of the moon & solar system, unfortunately I was devastated when the tripod broke less than 24 hours after I got it. :(

Some street games were also popular around here, the main one being kerb ball which from reading elsewhere seems to be popular in many other places in Ireland & Britain too. One

• Paid Members
It was a strange subset of society, wargaming. Occasionally me and a mate would go to local wargaming evenings/fairs, and actually it was mainly beardy middle aged men re-enacting Trafalgar, and buying intricately painted farmhouses off each other, and discussing terrain model building. Also, people selling their own Roleplaying games. Do people even play roleplaying games any more? I imagine not.

At some point I shall probably get back into models, it'll probably be in my 40s, and it'll probably be trains. I suspect I'll end up converting my attic into a giant train set or something. I already have the beard.

RPG's are still popular, but not much fun any more. People take them way to seriously. A bunch of people from my old club still play every sunday. Bet it fucking stinks.

When I hit 40 I decided to buy a train set, and am currently convertin the spare room into a set-up. No beard though.

• Paid Members

I collected Star Trek model ships and paint them, not very well but I tried - I'd break them all the time though. There was this amazing toy shop in town and upstairs had all kinds of cool models, I loved spending time in there at the weekends. Thinking about it, the place was generally populated by 40+ year olds with beards.

• Paid Members

I was a legend at my RPG club in the 80's and early 90's as I bathed and had girlfriends. For the only time in my life, I was oficially the coolest dude in the room.

Archived