Raw Discussion 20/2/12 *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked Cena getting intense with his Rock promo, but I'm not sure what it's meant to accomplish. Why bury the biggest star to return in years with legitimate issues and make it crystal clear that he's going to fuck off after Mania's done?

It being The Rock makes it crystal clear, they're just let Cena shoot at an open goal. And, he didn't 'bury' The Rock he just made clear the defining lines on which the feud will be fought, the down-to-earth wrestling guy versus the ostentatious Hollywood superstar. Bit of a bizarre moment when Cena was talking about doing it for the people that have always dreamed of being, and staying, a professional wrestler and the crowd actually booed. Which is kind of why painting The Rock in a bad way through Cena's promos is neither here nor there, because the crowd has already decided how to react regardless of material. Absolutely incredible promo by Cena though, my favourite in ages by anyone. That was talking people into the arena (or, in to buying the show at least) and maybe into buying shirts and DVD's and whatever else they're flogging. Anyone who questions Cena's spot from now on should be redirected to this promo. I'm definitely in Team Cena for this shindig, though.

Triple H/Taker was good, but not up to the standards of recent weeks. Mainly because Undertaker is functional but not exceptional as a promo guy, I tend to lose interest when he's talking. Triple H wasn't at his best, but he still does believably fiery better than anyone else. Either way, by the end I was on the edge of my seat waiting for HIAC to be announced.

Good idea having Sheamus dumping Henry, too.

Battle Royale was typical Battle Royale fair, fun but not excellent. Poor Barrett. The crowd do not giving a flying fuck about Jericho and it's all his, and the bookers, fault. I'm not going to retread old ground (though I do feel more smug with each passing week) but Jericho's return is the most mishandled thing I can remember in an absolute eternity, just absolutely awful. I said after the RR that he's become just another member of the roster, but he hasn't. He's become an albatross around the rosters neck. He's become Billy Gunn during a push. He's the guy that you watch and pray, pray beyond prayer, that he doesn't win and move up the card. He's the guy that gets a PPV main event (or quasi-main event in wrestlemania's case) and you bemoan the fact that rather than help elevate the two, he's dragging his opponent down and you just wish it was anyone else in there. Jericho's a wart on the WWE.

• Moderators

I think Jericho's main use these days would be as a mid card cheery face. He's so fucking boring otherwise. And not good boring, he's "Oh, I don't fucking care get off my TV" boring. Cena was Man of the Match tonight. He brought "Be A Star" to the forefront as he encouraged thousands of people to chant hoeski and for it to trend worldwide, and his promo during hour two was out of this world. TEAM CENA.

Sheamus winning over Mark Henry was one of the most fun short matches I've seen in a while and gives Sheamus some nice momentum. It's a shame Mark Henry had to lose, but when those two wrestle, everyone's the winner. However, I ruined HHH and Taker's announcement for myself by spending it all getting impatient with Undertaker taking off his toweling hood, but Hell in a Cell will be super duper.

Smackdown tonight, let's see what happens (probably fuck all).

• Paid Members
I don't understand how anyone can cheer for The Rock over Cena now, that was a superb promo. He was bang on about everything. I wish Cena's promos were like that all the time, instead of either 100% goofy or 100% grrrr, I'm shouty and angry.

The problem with it is the problem many people have with Cena. He went back into street mode last night, and whilst he was indeed excellent, it's a bit of a disconnect from his other schtick. I can see why people think Cena is a plastic twat, especially when his gimmick is "I'm always real" and his accent changes.

There are some flaws in Cena's argument, but when he's that passionate it's hard not to sit up and take notice. I fully expect The Rock to be shit next week again, which is a shame. Cena is killing him in the promo battles, which is why I'm Team Cena.

I thought 'Taker's promo at the start was gash, but he seemed to step it up once Triple H came out and decided to be awesome once again. I agree that the match announcement should have happened next week, but at least the fans reacted to it like it's the biggest deal possible. Compare this to the Punk/Jericho stuff and it's embarrassing; both Taker/Triple H just naturally come across as big deals. This Hell In A Cell is surely going to steal the show, I can see both of them getting some colour too - which will be a nice change of pace. The gimmick needed something like this, as the PPV of the same name nearly killed it.

They're doing great by D Bryan aren't they?! Playing that Chamber video before his match and making Santino his bitch. No doubt some tosser will moan that he had to sell a couple of moves. Glad they're finally giving Sheamus wins against bigger opponents now too. Poor Henry though.

I enjoyed Punk v Cole, as nobody usually stands up to Cole on commentary. It's a shame for Punk that Jericho has little heat with the crowd, meaning nobody really cares. They need to do something drastic for this to get the masses excited.

Wade getting injured is surely God's way of making sure his shit hair/theme/attire doesn't ruin the spectacle of Wrestlemania. Hopefully he learns his lesson from the big man, and comes back not looking like a plonker.

Good show. Firmly in the John Cena camp. Awesome promo. How is it he was involved in some serious shit for the last two months, but he turns it on for this and i'm right back with him. Rock can go to hell. Team Cena.

Didn't expect Hell in a Cell, can't wait! It was a bit disappointing that Sheamus and Daniel Bryan didn't interact.

Hope Dolph and Wade are alright, both deserve something at 'mania. Otunga is my new hero and Big Zeke must surely be looking at being caught in the post wrestlemania cull.

Cody Rhodes vs Big Show then?

WOW.

Cena talked them into the building with that one didn't he? Fuck me, what a display. I swear, had The Rock made an appearance there, some people might have actually booed once the surprise wore off. Much like last year when they were turn-taking with their barbs, I cannot wait for Rocky's Retort, especially as Cena did such a good job ripping the bastard to bits last night. His comeback needs to be strong as.

Great surprise with HIAC too. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first Cell match since Edge/Taker, or whenever the last one was before they invented the HIAC PPV. There really is a difference when you you have the gimmick to fit the feud, rather than throwing the feud in the gimmick whether it needs or not.

Interesting show. The Eve thing was a bit random, in that I think most of us saw the turn coming, but to do it like that was a bit of a waste. At least bring Ryder back before she turns, could of got some good heat if she cost Ryder a match or something to do the turn.

Undertaker was terrible before Triple H came out, like all over the place. Stumbling over his words, repeating himself, not making sense etc, thankfully Triple H saved the segment and helped Taker improve as well. Big props to Triple H for that. Crowd going apeshit when Triple H said yes was fantastic. Crowd made this match seem even more epic than it will be.

Speaking of the crowd, Cena's promo, whilst great, was strange because the crowd were so fucking dead. Hardly reacted to anything Cena said, I think it's because it's out of leftfield from Cena though, we havent seen that side of Cena for about a year, so they probably didnt know how to react. Ruined it a bit for me though.

The Rock needs to nail it next week. Be interesting to see what his rebuttal is. He won't take kindly to some of the things Cena said, it doesnt really matter whether Cena is in the right or not tho to be fair, come Miami the crowd are going to be pro Rock whatever. Be nice for Rock to get some decent shots in on Cena tho that doesnt involve mangina's and fruity pebbles.

Jericho/Punk closing the show looked terrible as well, no crowd reaction whatsoever when they went face to face, which is strange, as the crowd at Elimination Chamber were very into it when they went face to face there. Still time to get it back on side before WrestleMania though.

Jericho/Punk closing the show looked terrible as well, no crowd reaction whatsoever when they went face to face, which is strange, as the crowd at Elimination Chamber were very into it when they went face to face there.

Don't remember that like. The sheer silence when Jericho entered the match was pretty much my favourite bit of the PPV.

• Paid Members

I thought Cena's promo got exactly the reaction they wanted. They usually boo him out the building. He forced the people to listen. Throwing them off was the desired reaction for a promo like that. They didnt want a sing along or try and get chants out of the people. They wanted a change of pace, and thats what they got. Its the first week of their 6 week build. That promo was for the people at home anyway, not the fans in the arena.

I thought when Jericho got in the ring and he and Punk were looking across to each other the crowd seemed pretty into it...not rewatched it like so not 100% sure, but don't recall it being silence.

It's going to be lost in the shuffle anyway, Jericho's promo's have been shit, and hasnt got enough heat for Punk to play off. Besides, with Cena,Rock,HHH,Taker and HBK all to be all over RAW the next few weeks no one's going to care about this one.

Archived