Britain's Gay Footballers

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few current players who are widely rumoured to be gay (I won't name names, but I'm sure most fans will come up with the same names if asked - one of them looks uncannily like a member of this forum, and none of them are Titus Bramble). I could see a few of them coming out once they've been retired a few years (especially if they're not looking to go into management), but I think there's something institutionally homophobic about football that could adversely affect the career of an openly gay footballer.

• Paid Members
"I sleep at night wondering all the time, could I have done more and I keep coming up with the answer, yes I could have done more. Does that console me? No. We've cried for nearly two decades for Justin, it's enough."

John Fashanu really is a cunt isn't he?

Out of interest, Ricky, was he open about his sexuality amongst his friends before he came out publicly?

To be honest mate he rang us when he was at Forest and said then he thought it was about to break, Cloughie was giving him a hard time, i personally did not know as he was very popular with the ladies, was also boxing at the time and i did not suss it to be honest but he was a great bloke and i did not give a rats what he was he was just Justin to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not related to gay footballers, but still on the subject of prejudice in sport:-

Paddy Power faces investigation over 'transgendered ladies' ad

ASA launches inquiry after hundreds of complaints about TV campaign asking viewers to 'spot the stallions from the mares'

The advertising regulator is to investigate a TV ad by Irish bookmaker Paddy Power that asks viewers to spot the "transgendered ladies" among a crowd of racing fans at the Cheltenham festival.

The Advertising Standards Authority received 360 complaints that the campaign is offensive towards transgender people.

Paddy Power and broadcaster BSkyB were accused of inciting transphobia with the campaign, which promised to make the festival's Ladies' Day "even more exciting by adding some beautiful transgendered ladies: Spot the stallions from the mares".

The ad goes on to show a series of shots of well-dressed racegoers with a voiceover guessing which are men and which are women.

The campaign, which broadcast on Sky Sports at the weekend, immediately drew criticism from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

LGBT Lib Dems Northern Ireland said Paddy Power has brought "shame on itself" and that the marketing tactic was in poor taste at a time when the UK government is trying to wipe out all forms of prejudice in sport.

"To use the subject of transgender in such a degrading and mocking way is a clear-cut case of transphobia," said the organisation on its website.

"What is worse is that the advert appeared during Sky Sports' very popular Soccer Saturday not just once but three times. So while we have the UK government running a campaign to wipe out transphobia in sport we have the nation's number one sports channel showing such an advert."

Paddy Power is no stranger to controversy, having recently featured Imogen Thomas in an ad campaign in a bid to capitalise on the publicity surrounding Ryan Giggs's affair.

In 2010 the bookmaker aired what was to become the most complained-about ad of the year featuring blind footballers kicking a cat.

The CheltenhamFestival.net website said the campaign was "tongue in cheek" but admitted that some people have found it "in poor taste".

Invited to add their comments, visitors to the site branded it "a disgrace" and "simply horrendous". "I have never seen such an insensitive hate ad," wrote Alex Kennedy.

Stephen Glenn wrote: "We have a government that is working to get homophobia and transphobia out of sport. Yet we have a betting company linking this gross advert to the name of the Cheltenham Festival. I don't think the staff for Cheltenham should be asking us what we think of this but should have condemned it outright themselves."

A spokesman for Paddy Power said that the ad campaign has generated "plenty of public response" which it says has been "healthily mixed".

"Several members of the UK transgender community are cast in the ad, and it was also cleared by Clearcast [which pre-vets TV ads] before airing," said Paddy Power. " This ad is simply a bit of mild-mannered fun in the runup to the Cheltenham festival."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/2...dered-ladies-ad

Here's the ad in question:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=1XZ5MOB3nww

To be honest with you, I think Paddy Power are absolutely pathetic, these ads are not in the slightest bit funny - before you even get to the debate over whether it's offensive or not. Its timing is absolutely appalling, that much is for sure.

• Paid Members

I believe, upon first seeing that ad, I tweeted that it was "all kinds of what the fuck", or something to that effect. Utterly bizarre, before you even get to the idea of it possibly being offensive. Ads these days are really losing sight of what they're supposed to do, not that I particularly care whether they're successful.

Archived