The WWE Discussion Thread

A Screen Up

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that is your opinion I have no problem with that however let me ask you a question.

What makes a good commentary team ?

A solid rapport. They need to be knowledgeable and to be able to play off each other well. You need a good play-by-play and a colour commentator to back him up. Cole is too witty for King and blew Booker away. King is a parody of himself these days. I'm not saying that Cole is perfect but he is miles ahead of any other announcer they have.

I find it hard to imagine JR bringing too much these days.

In a perfect world, WWE would wipe the slate clean with the announce team and start from scratch.

I wonder how Joey Styles and Cole would fair together, with Cole as the play-by-play.

• Paid Members
I find it hard to imagine JR bringing too much these days.

On what evidence? He was commentating earlier this year, and was the same as ever. The job of a commentator is the sell the product and its characters. If they are doing that, then the job is done. JR does this. The job isnt to get themselves over. Tenay and Tazz have a great rapport and are quite funny. But they cant get over the big angles. Cole and Tazz were good, and so were Cole and JBL. At the minute, Cole is pretty bad.

On the Styles front, Paul Heyman is a fantastic commentator. Paul Heyman is fantastic at directing a commentator. Notice how Styles without Paul Heyman in his ear in those pre-taped ECW shows or those early PPVs wasnt actually very good? I hated Joey Styles, anyway. He always came across as a parody of an announcer.

• Moderators

Joey Styles' main draw to me was that he knew the names of moves, made smarky comments and "OH MY GOD!". Three things I stopped caring about when I was about 16. Terrible announcer, should be nowhere near a big time wrestling company behind the mic.

He had the most obnoxious "ISN'T THIS FUNNY?" fake laugh in wrestling commentary history as well.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the Styles front. Personally, I've always found him to be an entertaining announcer. I will say that I wasn't aware that his best work was when he had Heyman shouting in his direction, I always presumed that he was left to his own devices for the most part whilst taping ECW.

I agree that Heyman was the business as a commentator. One of my favourite announce teams ever was him and JR in 2001. Fantastic stuff.

Personally I love Ross and it's to great hear him from time to time. It shows the state of the announce teams in 2012 when talking about bringing JR back at this stage in his career would be seen as a positive.

Trouble is with JR the only people I have known in WWE to have a great rapport with JR is Lawler. The commentary team are best when they are working together to get over the angles and wrestlers and getting their own entertaining stuff in. JR is one of the best but whenever I see Ross in a past brand split PPV or for whatever reason not working with Lawler. He tries to call everything and belittles the effort or the seriousness of whoever he is working with.(Sometimes quite rightly..but still) Cole, Tazz even Heyman, though he usually got the better of him. Listening to him commentate with anyone else you can hear the conflict. Couldn't he have passed on some of his methods rather than making future commentators look like idiots. Don't remember feeling Gordon Solie was actively trying to make JR not know what he was talking about.

• Moderators
He had the most obnoxious "ISN'T THIS FUNNY?" fake laugh in wrestling commentary history as well.

This one? :)

'I'm gonna wet my pants.'

Ach, that's the one. Mick Foley and Joey Styles were one of the worst ever commentary duos to grace PPV.

• Paid Members

Agree and disagree with a lot of what's been said. I can't stand Cole behind the announce table, I find him to be a good heel and pretty witty but as a play-by-play commentator he's just too distracting, he spends most of his time either arguing with Lawler or sucking up the arse of whatever heel wrestler is in the ring and practically no time calling the match. Don't think the solution is bringing back JR on a permanent basis though, obviously he's one of the, if not the, best commentators of all time but his day has been and gone. Saying that, I'm more than happy when I see him making sporadic appearances but hopefully next time it won't involve anymore dance offs or the most cringeworthy segment of all time, the rap battle. Would love to see Heyman back and think he'd be an excellent replacement for Cole, brilliant at selling and knows his wrestling.

• Paid Members

I don't see why everyone has decided J.R should be put out to pasture just because he's been around for ages. Hes only just turned 60, not like that's far too old to be a commentator in wrestling. People like J.R and hes good at the job, his voice is instantly recognizable and when you think of great wrestling moments you hear J.R calling them, Foley off the cell etc. I do like Cole and think he could be used on Smackdown/as a manager, but there's definitely still a place for J.R in WWE.

Archived