John Cena v The Rock

Devon Malcolm

John Cena v The Rock  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's a really tough call. On the one hand if Rock wins it would become a tremendous Wrestlemania moment, draw the mother of all crowd celebrations in his home-town and give WWE more time in the spotlight after Wrestlemania for a bit. But with Cena getting the W, the guy who is actually the face and full-time mainstay of the company would get what he totally deserves and they can use it to build up a PPV or two.

Either way, it's going to be mind blowing. I'm still hoping to be there in person. What would be interesting is to see how Cena would react to being booked to lose the match and put over somebody who, in reality, a lot of WWE guys would probably rather see do the job out of respect to the guy who is there full time.

Should Rock win the title, there's no reason he couldn't use part of his tenure as champion to put Cena over again in a big way. That might be the best scenario in honesty, though truthfully if Iwas Cena I'd probably feel pretty miffed about not getting the nod at Wrestlemania.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rock will win, then Cena will batter the fuck out of him immediately afterwards. Leading to a rematch down the road.

This is basically my prediction too, and I think it's right.

There should be more than one match in this feud, so to do that you need to generate a reason for more matches to happen. I think The Rock winning would have 2 massive benefits. Firstly, if it's a title match then you'd have Rock as champion for a month or two, which would spike some good business on tv and PPV.

Secondly it'd be the perfect reason for Cena to really have a character overhaul. It doesn't even HAVE to be a heel turn, although if he IS going to turn heel, he needs to do it against realistically one of 3 guys (Austin, Rock, Hogan) and this looks like the only one of these that is ever going to happen.

So I'd have Rock win at WM, leading to Cena becoming obsessed with beating him. You could even have The Rock drop the title to someone else in the meantime, get him to put another young guy over. Have the 2nd match between them end with Cena turning heel and cheating to win.

If the angle's still hot, you can have a 3rd and final payoff match, cage or other. If the sizzle have gone, just leave it there at one apiece.

• Paid Members

I want Cena to win. With the sheer amount of effort he's put into being the top guy, and at times seemingly being the only person keeping the company profitable, what better reward than to get the win in what might be one of the biggest matches ever?. I do think that's the route they will go too, a Rock win wouldn't mean much, unless it's to set up more matches.

On an OT note. I'll probably be there for it. I'll be in the middle of a holiday in Orlando come Wrestlemania weekend. I've had Mania in the back of my mind since it was announced, but wasn't sure how much hassle/money it would take to get to/stay in Miami. Turns out, a $35 dollar bus ride will get me there, and I'm going to book a cheap hotel (that I can get refunded, should I fail to get WM tickets) Saturday til Monday for about $130. All that's left is getting tickets, fingers crossed!.

• Paid Members
On an OT note. I'll probably be there for it. I'll be in the middle of a holiday in Orlando come Wrestlemania weekend. I've had Mania in the back of my mind since it was announced, but wasn't sure how much hassle/money it would take to get to/stay in Miami. Turns out, a $35 dollar bus ride will get me there, and I'm going to book a cheap hotel (that I can get refunded, should I fail to get WM tickets) Saturday til Monday for about $130. All that's left is getting tickets, fingers crossed!.

If you can afford it, absolutely go to it if you can. Regardless of the quality of the event (Cena vs Rock or otherise) you'll have an absolutely blinding time. I went this year and it was all pretty last minute, and it wasn't even that good an event, but the atmosphere and just being there in general is pure, utter magic that'll make you a kid again. I'd keep an eye out on ticketmaster. I was axtually pretty surprised how much it cost in the end, much cheaper than I thought it would be.

We drove to Florida for a few days before all the goings on in Atlanta and stopped by Orlando. It rained like fuck. Hopefully the same won't happen here.

I'm going to book a cheap hotel (that I can get refunded, should I fail to get WM tickets) Saturday til Monday for about $130. All that's left is getting tickets, fingers crossed!.

Have you looked at Hostels in the area? I always used them when doing US PPVs. Normally about $20 a night.

I should probably be searching out the 'Who's going to Wrestlemania 28' thread but the conversation has led us here.

I'm a little concerned that when I try (fingers firmly crossed) to get ringside tickets for Mania that I'll miss out on the atmosphere a bit - like I find at football matches.

Also, I imagine WWE will announce ahead of time when they're going to release tickets?

I want The Rock to win by the way.

• Paid Members

Completely agree with what Ian said. It would be different if The Rock was coming in and facing the hottest new star with a ton of momentum but Cena is already established, granted not massive but the franchise guy for 7 years come 'Mania, and The Rock's audience hates Cena (like Ian said "Wrestling got shite because of Cena" crowd). The 'casuals' buying it for The Rock want him to turn up and beat Cena's fake bottom.

Meltzer said something interesting on his show a few months back. Apparently a "veteran" (Triple H, probz) was/is trying to get the match changed. He thinks it's an absolute terrible idea for Cena to face The Rock at 'Mania because it only hurts Cena. WWEs plans for this is to get Cena over with the 'lad' audience The Rock brings, and said veteran is smart enough to know that anything other than The Rock winning puts the folk off sticking about, because they hate watching Cena win and they will resent Cena even more for pinning their hero. Also you will have that awkward moment of a stadium full of people looking/sounding deflated after a Cena victory as the PPV goes off the air, again making the product look out of touch.

The Rock has signed a mutli-PPV deal and has the bug again. I can see Vince giving The Rock the win, to lick his arse some more, then have him job to Cena at Summerslam. It makes the most sense. Doubt WWE know what they are doing though.

So I'd have Rock win at WM, leading to Cena becoming obsessed with beating him. You could even have The Rock drop the title to someone else in the meantime, get him to put another young guy over. Have the 2nd match between them end with Cena turning heel and cheating to win.

If the angle's still hot, you can have a 3rd and final payoff match, cage or other. If the sizzle have gone, just leave it there at one apiece.

I like this idea. Basically, I'd take this or a Cena win at Wrestlemania on the proviso that he turns heel in the process or shortly afterwards. Otherwise, the mark in me wants a Rock win - from a fan perspective, I fucking hate babyface Cena, and Rock's probably my all-time favourite, so that's a no-brainer.

The absolute worst outcome I could imagine from a personal fan perspective is a clean Cena win, with Cena staying babyface afterwards - from an objective point of view too, I don't think ending Wrestlemania with the triumphant babyface getting booed out of the building ever looks good. I don't see how visually reinforcing the idea of Cena as a babyface who is despised by the WWE's core audience would help him in any way.

• Paid Members
I like this idea. Basically, I'd take this or a Cena win at Wrestlemania on the proviso that he turns heel in the process or shortly afterwards.

I'll put a picture of my cock in the Depression thread, just for those feeling a bit down to laugh at someone less fortunate, if Cena turns heel in the current wrestling climate. Business is dead. There's only one fulltime star left in North America and he isnt going to turn. If they turn Cena heel, they might as well just set fire to a large percentage of the merch sales. Live attendance is down, television ratings on dying a death, PPV buys havent been good for ages and merchandise sales are down from last year significantly. WWE does some mad things, but turning Cena isnt one I see them doing. He's more valuable to them at the minute as any wrestler in their history was.

Adding to that, who is there for him to work with? Orton? Punk? Triple H? A face Alberto? When Hogan turned he had Luger, Sting, Piper, Giant, Savage, Flair and others. WWE needs a new hero before they get rid of the old one.

It might give a few anti-smarks a laugh (and, even as a bit of a Cena-hater myself, I did find that amusing), but I honestly don't see the business sense in knowingly sending customers who've spent a shitload of money home disappointed and pissed off. Especially when you've spent a good year and a lot of money yourself trying to entice those people back to your product.

I'll put a picture of my cock in the Depression thread, just for those feeling a bit down to laugh at someone less fortunate, if Cena turns heel in the current wrestling climate. Business is dead. There's only one fulltime star left in North America and he isnt going to turn. If they turn Cena heel, they might as well just set fire to a large percentage of the merch sales. Live attendance is down, television ratings on dying a death, PPV buys havent been good for ages and merchandise sales are down from last year significantly. WWE does some mad things, but turning Cena isnt one I see them doing. He's more valuable to them at the minute as any wrestler in their history was.

He did ask 'what would you like to see happen?' in the OP, though. That's what I'd like to see happen. The business arguments have been done to death, and I think we all know where the two sides stand on how much money they'll lose without Cena's merch, and conversely why business will never, ever improve significantly with Cena in the same role. As I think I posted in your thread about the loss of the casual fan, that demographic will never return in any consistent or significant numbers with clean-cut, babyface Cena on top. He's just too divisive, and they can't have their cake and eat it in that respect.

• Paid Members
It might give a few anti-smarks a laugh (and, even as a bit of a Cena-hater myself, I did find that amusing), but I honestly don't see the business sense in knowingly sending customers who've spent a shitload of money home disappointed and pissed off. Especially when you've spent a good year and a lot of money yourself trying to entice those people back to your product.

You dont have to turn him heel for that though. Rock can still beat him, and probably will. And a one night show WrestleMania means nothing in June 2012 when all the revenue sources are down and the shareholders are pissed off that the person making them the most money 12 months before is now telling the fans to "Eat My Hat" (I made that heel catchphrase up for Cena. I think its clever).

• Paid Members

It's a shame neither Punk or Orton are setting the world on fire (number-wise) as babyfaces. Then again, even with Cena as 'the guy' numbers are in the toilet.

Turning Cena heel with no credible face to take his place is mental. They did it with Austin, with a hotter product and more over stars and it still went tits up because they didn't have anybody ready to fill Austin's spot (as well as The Rock filming until the summer).

It might give a few anti-smarks a laugh (and, even as a bit of a Cena-hater myself, I did find that amusing), but I honestly don't see the business sense in knowingly sending customers who've spent a shitload of money home disappointed and pissed off.

Same could be said of every show that's ended with a heel winning -- WrestleMania 2000, for example. And they did alright out of Rock losing there.

Same could be said of every show that's ended with a heel winning -- WrestleMania 2000, for example. And they did alright out of Rock losing there.

Aye, but in fairness, that was in a money-making 'I can't wait wait to buy the next PPV to see him get his revenge' way, not a 'fuck this shit, they're obviously not interested in appealing to people like me anymore' way. Rightly or wrongly, fans who've bought tickets to see Wrestlemania or just purchased the PPV based mainly on Rock's return would take a clean Cena win as a slap in the face.

If they're not interested in getting back the Attitude era fans, fair enough, give Cena the STF win and keep the kiddies happy. But the money and time invested in the Rock's return along the edgier direction they've experimented with this year suggests they are keen on reaching out to that audience again.

Archived