The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

Your Mother Should Know

I Love this song. It's has a lovely simple piano riff and it's impossible not to sing along too, sounds like something a grandad would sing to his kids.

The best beatle for solo work IMO and this is just a great song.

A very rocky yet atmospheric tune with an interesting lyrical content, it's almost like 3 songs in 1. Nice fusion of beats and changes make this a memorable one, even if the White Album has some forgettable stuff on it.

Helter Skelter

Full on rocking out showing the Beatles could attempt what became an early version of the Led Zep sound IMO. Although it's weird not to listen to this song and imagine a murder frenzy (manson murders).

You're Gonna Lose that Girl

My fave tune from HELP! I'm amazed this songs gets barely mentioned much.

Free as a Bird

Real Love

The last two 'official' Beatles tunes from 94/96. Although Free as a Bird is a great song and the bigger hit of the two, Real Love for my money is a better song, just moe uplifting, some great drum and sitar fills throughout and Harrison just amazing with the guitar callbacks. The video is also really sweet to watch, contrasting the glory days with 3 old fella's working there magic one more time.

Probably post more later, Beatles are fucking ace.

Always loved the way Lennon sang "In summer, meanwhile back" on Penny Lane

That was Paul. ;)

I think they're pretty damn great. If you don't like the music, fine, but you can't even argue that they're not the most important band there will ever be. When you figure they were only active for seven years and churned out almost two albums a year plus singles, their output is truly incredible. I like to remind people that the whole Please Please Me album was recorded in one day. ONE DAY!

George Martin deserves a lot of credit. He invented techniques and equipment that changed the whole way music is recorded. He really was the fifth Beatle, especially after they became purely a studio band.

I could list a bunch of favourites but I'd be here all day. Later highlights though are Lennon's Rock'n'Roll and the first Travelling Wilburys album, especially Handle With Care.

• Paid Members

My Dad always had them on when I was a kid, and I grew up thinking Yellow Submarine was a playground song that every kid knew. I remember sitting at my Gran's going through his records of them and reading all the bits inside the sleeves and the lyrics and that.

Because I live with my Mum, and my Dad ended up being an absolute turd who I just stopped seeing, I never really heard much of them between the ages of like 7/8 to 18 but then decided I really should check them out again.

Can't say I love all their stuff like some people, but I do like an awful lot of it and appreciate why they're known as the greatest band ever. I'm a much bigger fan of their wackier stuff like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, I am The Walrus, Octopus' Garden, etc. I do like the more upbeat rocky stuff like Helter Skelter and Hey Bulldog too.

George Harrison was the best one.

• Paid Members

I'm not the biggest of fans, but I do love a fair amount of their work.

My favourite Beatles album is Magical Mystery Tour, yes I know it's not Technically an album, more of a soundttack, and even then the CD version released was actually the US version, but I fucking love it.

Song wise, I love 'Something' and 'In My Life'

Their early work still strikes me as pop pap though.

I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?

• Paid Members

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?

No not really just anyone who planned on coming in and being a cunt about the Beatles in a positive thread about them. Waterboy made the intentions clear and usually most music threads do decend into that type of nonsence.

I'm guessing you don't like the Beatles then Sev :p

• Paid Members

I absolutely love The Beatles.

:love:

I'm Down - Live at Shea Stadium I love the almost shambolic nature of this. It's basically 4 guys (well maybe not Ringo) having the absolute time of their fucking lives.

Solo material-wise I prefer Paul's stuff but -

I usually hate moody, slowed down cover versions but this is just wonderful.