Random thoughts thread *DO NOT POST NEWS*

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I've seen this done on another wrestling forum, and it worked well there. Just a place for little thoughts and comments that don't really deserve a thread, but will stimulate a bit of conversation.

Anyway, I'll start it off. Saw this interesting quote from Al Snow today. What do you reckon to it? I think there's a lot of sense in there myself, and gives a bit of insight into how the wrestler sees it.

"The most oxymoronic term out there is a 'smart-mark'. Just doesn't exist. Because how can you be smart at something

• Paid Members

He's spot on to be honest. I remember as a young kid actually coming in early from footie because WWF Superstars had a main event that had Yokozuna and Crush vs Mable and Typhoon. The sheer spectical of it made me excited for a full week. Its on Youtube, and the match is beyond awful, but at the time it was compelling to see four heavyweights like that have a fight. The Scott Hall episode on Youtube where he's commentating on Hogan vs Warrior is great, because Zbysko and Hall are saying that everything that they are doing is so easy and basic, but by bringing the crowd into the match all the little stuff is magnified. I enjoy the bells and whistles that comes with wrestling more than anything else. Thats why I became a fan in the first place. There isnt enough colourful characters these days. Back years ago there would be a million and one different outfits and one bloke would have a french accent, one would have overalls on, one would be carrying a plank of wood, one would be a Policeman, one would be dressed as an Indian and standing head and shoulders over the lot would be Warrior, Hogan and Savage would didn't look like any other people on the planet let alone in wrestling. Big stars in compelling matches will have me paying money anyday. There's not many people I'd like to draw on my school jotter these days (if I had one). Back in the early 90s, there used to be a mini crisis in my house if my orange pen ran out, because I couldn't colour the picture of my favour Ultimate Warrior outfit it. Wrestling has the advantage over UFC in the sense that it can make your imagination run wild. There should be more of a cast of characters these days. Everyone seems to be wearing black and little trunks. Years ago, a nice pair of Zubaaz pants would make up for shit mic work.

• Moderators

It's strange, because even as a kid I knew people like Tito Santana were good at what they did, but if he tore the house down with Shawn Michaels (which he didn't anyway), it wouldn't faze me, because I wasn't there for that but for Hulk Hogan vs Sid Justice. I think Wrestling should go back to that. They all used to have it spot on. Put all the people who are seen for work to prop it up, and have your big larger than life characters on top, because that's who people are paying to see. And if you're lucky, you have a Ric Flair or Randy Savage who can do both.

its been done that many times that its no longer worthy of a thread:

The following is from TNAWrestling.com:

PREVIEW: THURSDAY'S iMPACT BROADCAST ON SPIKE - DON'T MISS THE FINAL MOMENTS FOR THE SHOCKING SURPRISE OF THE YEAR!

Don't forget to watch Total Nonstop Action Wrestling every Thursday night starting at 9/8c with iMPACT! If you can't watch it Thursdays, make sure to set your DVRs to record it!

THIS THURSDAY, DON'T MISS THE FINAL MOMENTS OF IMPACT FOR THE MOST SHOCKING SURPRISE OF THE YEAR - GUARANTEED!!!

even if it is the most shocking surprise of the year I dont care as they have over promised and under delivered so many times.

• Paid Members

They must not get that people weren't dying to see Sting, they were dying to see Sting in WWE. I doubt anyone could care less if he goes back to TNA, but I bet Dixie and Eric and them think they've got one up on Vince.

• Paid Members

Triple H's nickname makes me cringe everytime I hear it. Watching him on television over the last eleven years proclaiming himself to be 'The Game' is just downright embarassing. In the past we've had 'The great one', 'The franchise', 'The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be' and a whole host of others, I'm sure. Now these make sense, as they are all boasts.

What the fuck does 'I am The game' even mean? Just awful.

• Moderators
Did Rick Rude ever really need a manager? He never fitted with Bobby Heenan IMO and I can't figure out why. Dangerously was different though.

I always read/heard that Rude and Heenan didn't really get on as Rude felt Heenan was stealing his heat or something, which would explain the lack of chemistry there. I don't think he really needed a manager, as great as he was with Paul E in WCW. I think it's just a case though that in late 80's WWF that if you were going to main event house shows on the A or B shows, you needed a manager in the eyes of the WWF. I can't think of many heels challenging for titles at that point who didn't have a second of some description. I can't think of many heels in the WWF at all at that point who didn't have a second. I mean there was Bad News Brown obviously, but everyone else seemed to have one.

• Paid Members
Did Rick Rude ever really need a manager? He never fitted with Bobby Heenan IMO and I can't figure out why. Dangerously was different though.

I always read/heard that Rude and Heenan didn't really get on as Rude felt Heenan was stealing his heat or something, which would explain the lack of chemistry there. I don't think he really needed a manager, as great as he was with Paul E in WCW. I think it's just a case though that in late 80's WWF that if you were going to main event house shows on the A or B shows, you needed a manager in the eyes of the WWF. I can't think of many heels challenging for titles at that point who didn't have a second of some description. I can't think of many heels in the WWF at all at that point who didn't have a second. I mean there was Bad News Brown obviously, but everyone else seemed to have one.

I liked Rude with Heenan as he fitted in with the whole Heenan Family idea.

You had the Giant, the badass silent Tongan and then the ripped, brash, cocky Rude.

I can understand why Rude felt it stole his heat as it also made Heenan look better for assembling such a varied group.

Triple H's nickname makes me cringe everytime I hear it. Watching him on television over the last eleven years proclaiming himself to be 'The Game' is just downright embarassing. In the past we've had 'The great one', 'The franchise', 'The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be' and a whole host of others, I'm sure. Now these make sense, as they are all boasts.

What the fuck does 'I am The game' even mean? Just awful.

In context, it comes from an interview he did in the build-up for his title match with Austin years ago. The crux of the interview was that he had done more preparation and training for the upcoming match than Austin could hope to do, and ended with the punchline 'you might be a student of the game, but I AM the game!'.

Thought it was pretty catchy and original at the time, and obviously it's just become an unquestioned part of his character over time. It might sound a bit daft out of context, but then again so does stuff like 'The Excellence of Execution' and 'The Nature Boy' (especially when referring to a man as old as time in the latter's case). Plus it was a decent enough name for a rapper to nick it.

Might take away a thread op for SBA but

Former WWE diva Jillian Hall confirmed rumors that she is pregnant on her Twitter page: It's time to announce what I have been asked repeatedly lately... Yes, I am pregnant." Hall was asked if this is going to be her first child, and she replied, "second! I have an 11 year old daughter."

Didn't know she was already a mum.

Archived