The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

Posted this already in the UFC 144 thread but thought it belonged here aswell:

Very, very awesome 45 minute video of Rampage Jackson walking around Tokyo with Ariel Helwani - Rampage talks about pretty much everything in his career:

A Night In Tokyo With Rampage Jackson

As I say its a brilliant & unique interview, its nice to see Rampage so open and honest in this. Very cool of him to give away that much of his time especially when hes only a couple of days away from a fight. Must watch for Pride fans.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted this already in the UFC 144 thread but thought it belonged here aswell:

Very, very awesome 45 minute video of Rampage Jackson walking around Tokyo with Ariel Helwani - Rampage talks about pretty much everything in his career:

A Night In Tokyo With Rampage Jackson

As I say its a brilliant & unique interview, its nice to see Rampage so open and honest in this. Very cool of him to give away that much of his time especially when hes only a couple of days away from a fight. Must watch for Pride fans.

Cheers for posting that MOM. Excellent interview!

Add me to the people who loved the Rampage interview, I forget how likeable he can be, nice to see him and Helwani get on.

Kyle Kingsbury announced via his twitter that he will be first to face Glover Texiera May 26th in Vegas. (UFC 146) In fact UFC 146 is looking ace already.

Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. C.B. Dollaway

Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig

Glover Teixeira vs. Kyle Kingsbury

Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins

Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham

Alistair Overeem vs. Junior dos Santos (UFC Heavyweight Champion)*

*(Unconfirmed)

Now that is a good card.

JDS vs Overeem is going to be sick. I like JDS right now, but could change my mind.

If this fight does take place in May we will have had in the space of 6 months or so, Brock vs Overeem, Cain vs JDS, Nog vs Mir and JDS vs Overeem. Also potentially Cormier vs Barnett and Cain vs Mir.

Heavyweight MMA has never been this good and with Werdum becoming a Muai Thai machine, things are getting better all the time.

Oh and about fucking time Texeira got signed, could be a fresh new contender in a time where 205lbs needs some to throw at Jones if he carrys on his dominent ways.

just watched the warrior this afternoon and i was trying to figure out in the film who Joel Edgerton looked like, and then it hit me Chael Sonnen, anyone else think this or is it just me ha!

I thought he looked a bit like Forest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. Great film just hated the final fight.

• Paid Members

Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva have named their coaching staff for TUF Brazil

Belfort's having

Rodrigo Artilheiro (Wrestling)

Francisco Filho (Karate)

Luiz Carlos Dorea (Boxing)

Gilbert 'Durinho' Burns (BJJ)

Wand's got

Rafael Cordeiro (Muay Thai and MMA)

Fabricio Werdum (BJJ)

Renato 'Babalu' Sobral (Wrestling and MMA)

Andre Dida (Boxing)

Good teams. Belfort's are the lesser known names but I know Gilbert Burns is a top level World Champion BJJ pracitioner. And Dorea is well known as the Boxing coach for the Nogueira brothers and Junior Dos Santos so he's obviously gonna be good to have on board.

Wand's team's a bit of an all star cast of MMA. I'm glad he got Cordeiro in and Werdum is the perfect choice for BJJ imo. Babalu and Dida will be valuable in grappling and striking and just having someone like Babalu around will be great for the fighters on the show, the man's been around MMA forever.

Given their ties, I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson Silva and Mark Munoz make appearances on Wand's team throughout the series too.

Really looking forward to this.

• Paid Members
I asked last week, but what's the format for these TUF shows? Are we getting a weekly episode and fight like before?

I think so yeah. I think Dana said TUF Brazil will be the same format as the past TUF's. It's all pre-recorded like the past ones. It's the Cruz/Faber TUF that I'm not sure about cos the fight's on that will be live. I dunno how they're gonna work that exactly in regards to how often and when the episodes are on and stuff like that.

• Paid Members
I asked last week, but what's the format for these TUF shows? Are we getting a weekly episode and fight like before?

I think so yeah. I think Dana said TUF Brazil will be the same format as the past TUF's. It's all pre-recorded like the past ones. It's the Cruz/Faber TUF that I'm not sure about cos the fight's on that will be live. I dunno how they're gonna work that exactly in regards to how often and when the episodes are on and stuff like that.

Cruz/Faber TUF starts next Friday so hopefully well hear more about the schedule this week. This 6 week gap between shows is gonna be shitty though.

• Paid Members

Yeah they should be letting us know what's happening with the live TUF fights this week I'd imagine.

I'm not looking forward to that gap between UFC's either. I've got used to having a UFC nearly every week lately. Still in that gap we've got Strikeforce with Tate vs Rousey, TUF 15 debut, TUF Brazil debut, and the new season of Bellator gets underway so there will be plenty of stuff to watch.

• Paid Members

Just found this in regards to TUF 15 which helps knowing how it will work and also who's made the cut this season

The UFC has today revealed the participants for the upcoming season of hit reality show The Ultimate Fighter.

The inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter Live on FX will run for 13 consecutive weeks, featuring live fights every episode, and culminate with a championship fight on June 1, in a three-hour finale.

Following the eagerly anticipated premiere on its new home, the series will remain on Fridays but move to 10 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) for 12 weeks.

FX will also televise a second 13-week season of The Ultimate Fighter Live this summer. There will be two 13-week seasons of the show on FX annually for the next seven years. The eventual winner of each season receives a six-figure contract from the UFC.

The 13 weeks of taping are more than twice as long as previous TUF seasons (six). Unlike past editions when each season was taped months in advance of its broadcast, new episodes with live fights will now air each week.

There will be 16 live fights on March 9. The competitors are:

Akbarh Arreloa, Chula Vista , Calif.

Al Iaquinta, Wantagh , N.Y.

Ali Maclean, Belfast , North Ireland

Andy Ogle, Tynemouth , England

Austin Lyons, Cordova , Tenn.

Brendan Weafer, New York , N.Y.

Chris Tickle, Bloomington , Ill.

Cody Pfister, Amarillo , Texas

Cristiano Marcello, Curitiba , Brazil

Chase Hackett, Littleton , Colo.

Chris Saunders, Long Beach , Calif.

Dakota Cochrane, Omaha , Neb.

Daron Cruickshank, Wayne , Mich.

Drew Dober, Omaha , Neb.

Erin Beach, San Diego , Calif.

James Krause, Blue Springs , Mich.

James Vick, Fort Worth , Texas

Jared Carlsten, Los Angeles , Calif.

Jeff Smith, Mechanicsburg , Penn.

Jeremy Larsen, Phoenix , Ariz.

Joe Proctor, Pembroke , Mass.

John Cofer, Hull , Ga.

Johnavan Vistante, Pearl City , Hawaii

Jon Tuck, Hagtna, Guam

Jordan Rinaldi, Matthews, N.C.

Justin Lawrence, Villa Ridge , Mo.

Mark Glover, Liverpool , England

Michael Chiesa, Spokane Valley , Wash.

Myles Jury, San Diego , Calif.

Mike Rio, Miami , Fla.

Sam Sicilia, Spokane Valley , Wash.

Vinc Pichel, Sherman Oaks, Calif.

13 weeks in the house is gonna be brutal. What was it before, 6-8 weeks? If they were cracking up then it's gonna be much worse this time.

Looking at the cast of fighters I'm not familiar with most of them. I know of Andy Ogle but not the other 2 UK lads. Myles Jury, I think, was on a past season if I'm not mistaken. May have only got as far as the elimination fights though.

And Cristiano Marcello :) if it's the same one I know of then he's the man who gave Wanderlei Silva his BJJ blackbelt and also the man who triangle choked Krazy Horse into a slumber backstage in Pride. Looking at his wikipedia, he's a 155er and he's fought as recently as last year. It's gotta be him.

Archived