The Official Nintendo Wii U Thread

Sym

Confirmed by Nintendo (via Eurogamer):

has announced its plan to launch a Wii successor system next year.

In a note published today alongside its 2011 financial statement, the company confirmed the console, currently codenamed Project Cafe, will launch in 2012.

It also confirmed plans to show a playable model of the new system, and announce further details, at the E3 game show in June.

More to follow.

Rumors have been rampant about this over the past week and some design documents have apparently leaks suggesting that it will be more powerful than both PS3 and XBox 360, and perhaps more interestingly will have a small HD screen in each controller allowing the games to be taken on the move/played in differen parts of the house while the game itself is screened from the console!

I'll try and find the leaked image in a second but thought I'd start a thread to ask what you would like to see from a new Nintendo console? Would you buy it?

They need to drive gaming back into getting people together in one room and gaming, the Wii was far too gimmicky to ever get this done more than a couple of times. Everyone has diversified into trying to be PC's and they have all completely failed at it, their attempts to sanitise the medium has driven people into isolation, playing online with other console people instead of what made console gaming the legitimate complimentary to PC gaming, which still does multiplayer at least 50x better than consoles. Get 4 people on Goldeneye and they'll have more fun than 30 on COD123.

When some friends round, bang on the N64 or whathaveya, when looking to pass an hour bang on Counterstrike. Perfect combination.

They need to drive gaming back into getting people together in one room and gaming, the Wii was far too gimmicky to ever get this done more than a couple of times. Everyone has diversified into trying to be PC's and they have all completely failed at it, their attempts to sanitise the medium has driven people into isolation, playing online with other console people instead of what made console gaming the legitimate complimentary to PC gaming, which still does multiplayer at least 50x better than consoles. Get 4 people on Goldeneye and they'll have more fun than 30 on COD123.

When some friends round, bang on the N64 or whathaveya, when looking to pass an hour bang on Counterstrike. Perfect combination.

...wasn't that the point of the Wii? It got it done a lot of times but often just fell boring after so many times on Mario Kart, Wii Sports etc. If they can combine motion controls and classic controller gaming mixed with Nintendo magic I'll still be there...They need better 3rd party support aswell, and it has always been a big Nintendo problem.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't really read your post all the way through...

Very excited about the things I've read about this system albeit all of it rumours, however Nintendo must get stronger support from the big third party publishers this time.

I'll always be happy with new versions of Mario, Starfox, Zelda etc but I also appreciate games like God of War, Arkham Asylum and buying a second console to play those games is quite pricey.

But great news that Ninty has confirmed it.

This generation I felt the need to supplement my Wii with a 360 for a more hardcore gaming experience! If Nintendo can negate the need for me to do this and focus less on the casual gamer then I'll purely stick with their product! A 2012 release would in all likely hood give them a 2 year headstart at least over Sony and Microsoft so if they pack in the power, attempt to get third party developers on board then this could be made of win! Imagine this launching with the likes of GTA 5 next summer, it would be huge!

Also, I think they should try to keep the popularity of the Wii ongoing aswell, leaving that as the casual console, releasing regular updates for the likes of Wii fit, Wii sports etc throughout the Cafe's early life!

I think it's important for them to remember that the new gamers they hooked in with the Wii are not used to upgrading consoles like us more established gamers so if they play this smartly they could have huge pieces of two very different pies!

All I really want is a real next-gen Nintendo machine, with HD versions of Zelda, Mario and all that I love about Nintendo. I've got my PS3 and XBOX360 for other stuff, but I've always stuck with Nintendo because of what they bring to the table.

The Wii pissed me off because it felt like a half-arsed effort reliant on a gimmick - something they've got a little better at with the 3DS, as the games will be better for a handheld, but it's still full of lazy remakes etc.

This gen of consoles hasnt really excited me that much, I did buy a PS3 till the piece of crap died on me, and that was it, I never cameback, was quite happy with my DS and playing whatever comes out on the PC, I was tempted to buy a Wii, theirs a few games I wouldnt mind getting, however I never felt justified paying for it, because as said outside of Nintendo games, its pretty awful.

With this new console they do need that big 3rd party support, the likes of EA, Capcom etc, if I can play the likes of Marvel vs Capcom 3 on a Wii2 or whatever its called then I'm game.

If im right wont this be the first time Nintendo have the most powerful machine on the market since the SNES? if this machine could be even half of what the SNES was then Nintendo have another winner of theirs hands.

If anything this means the OG Wii will drop price big time, I bet you can get one for 30quid by the time this new one shows up, will the new console be backwards compatibility? if so then that sweetens the pot even further.

I think this has been the most interested Ive been in Nintendo for awhile now, I look forward to E3.

Also does anyone reckon they will do another Zelda switch? you know like how they took the Gamecube game and put it on the Wii as well, I think they will.

I'm looking at my collection of 60+ Wii games, none of them were duds (apart from WWE Allstars as it was a horrid port). I'm really hoping it doesn't end up too much like the other current consoles as we already bloody have them, i loved the Wii as it was still bringing us good old fun and not clone after clone of shooters and racers but if it can keep a healthy balance while pushing away some of the shovelware then even better.

Also, a good home console Pokemon game? Please?

• Paid Members

From a business standpoint I think it'd be daft for Nintendo to move back into the more traditional "hardcore gamer" market. The Wii was successful because of the gimmick, I guess they could try capitalize on that and get new people to try their new console based on that, but I think they're almost obligated to try and innovate in some way to capture the imagination of the general public.

In terms of quality games I think the Wii is often overlooked by "serious" gamers, it's got two of the best games ever in the Mario Galaxy series, then you've got Zelda, Smash Bros, De Blob, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Zack and Wiki, Little King Story, Pro Evolution Soccer, Mario Kart Wii, Warioware, Okami, No More Heroes, the virtual console...there's loads going on for the console, and I enjoy it much more than the Xbox 360, which has really phoned it in in the past few years in terms of quality exclusive games.

From a business standpoint I think it'd be daft for Nintendo to move back into the more traditional "hardcore gamer" market. The Wii was successful because of the gimmick, I guess they could try capitalize on that and get new people to try their new console based on that, but I think they're almost obligated to try and innovate in some way to capture the imagination of the general public.

In terms of quality games I think the Wii is often overlooked by "serious" gamers, it's got two of the best games ever in the Mario Galaxy series, then you've got Zelda, Smash Bros, De Blob, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Zack and Wiki, Little King Story, Pro Evolution Soccer, Mario Kart Wii, Warioware, Okami, No More Heroes, the virtual console...there's loads going on for the console, and I enjoy it much more than the Xbox 360, which has really phoned it in in the past few years in terms of quality exclusive games.

Games like Little King's Story (which I think I've gone on record here saying is possibly the most overlooked and underrated games of the past few years. If I didn't, read my blog) don't need the Wii-mote. And yes, I know that some games are fine to use the Gamecube controller (like Mario Kart), but alot of them do and they shoe-horn 'waggling' action in for no good reason.

Super Mario Strikers was a far better game in the Gamecube than on the Wii, as was Warioware.

I never played de Blob, but de Blob 2 worked fine with the normal controller.

Another really irritating problem with the Wii is the reliance upon batteries for the controller, and the need to buy the nun-chucks separately. I'm a big fan of playing 4 player games all in the same room with my mates rather than online, but sod paying out

Archived