F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Yep about 5-6 weeks away or so until the new season is upon us, no refuelling and still messing with the points system.. its a laugh innit ?

Anyway got a new team mate? Make a cock of yourself, even more than usual

http://msn.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5897694,00.html

'*puffs out chest* It was ME that got him the job, he should be so greatful! Iam the Number one driver in this team, its all about ME!'

Unbelievable!

New season what is everyone lookibng forward to?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked the pics on that site of the new Sauber & Renault cars, not going to spoil it too much for someone here but bloody hell the Killer Bees have taken over in the Renault pit.

Should be an awesome season, looking forward to seeing how Campos, Virgin & US F1 do on the grid and to seeing if Force India can build on the sucess of last year.

What am I looking forward to? That's so so SO simple: Michael Schumacher. The guy's a legend and I've been a massive fan of his ever since I started watching F1 back in 1995 (though technically, it was a love of Ferrari that attracted me to begin with, and so he sort of went with that and grew on me through '96) so for him to actually be coming back to F1 and racing competitively, I'm seriously hyped. I'm looking forward to seeing the Mercedes car tomorrow and I'm really hoping that they can give both guys a car so Rosberg can prove just how good he is, but also so Schumacher can have a good run at the title. I'm tempted to put some money on him winning the title come November 2nd.

I'm still in two minds as to whether the refuelling ban will improve or hinder the racing. If we get drivers who are forced to take it easy the last few laps because they're on fumes and someone behind them has enough fuel because they were conservative earlier on, it may encourage some overtaking. I guess we'll see some position changing after pit stops when drivers are able to grab a couple of laps on fresh rubber and make good time.

Hopefully they sort out the points system too. The proposed idea to give more points for winning, having a bigger gap between positions and also awarding points to 10th should encourage drivers to fight for position instead of just settling for where they are after their final pit stop. Button/Webber from Abu Dhabi is exactly how a last lap battle should be done and fingers crossed we get a couple of those.

Oh, and the article posted about Hamilton "suggesting" Button for a teammate. What an absolute cock.

• Paid Members

2010 is shaping up to be the best season ever.

There are 7 serious World Championship candidates, the greatest F1 driver in history has returned, Alonso has a chance to prove his greatness again, Button has the most difficult defence of a title ever, Hamilton will be desperate to prove he is Britain's number 1 driver, Massa is back (and similar to Hamilton, will want to prove Ferrari is his team) and the Red Bulls are sticking to what they do best.

Right now, I call Alonso for champion. But regardless, it's going to be awesome.

• Paid Members

New points system introduced...

BBC Clicky

Formula 1 will have a new points system for the 2010 after an agreement between the governing body (FIA) and the teams.

The new system will see places rewarded in a 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 sequence.

F1 bosses believe a seven-point gap between first and second place, rather than the current two-point separation, will promote a 'race-to-win' attitude.

New points system introduced...

BBC Clicky

Formula 1 will have a new points system for the 2010 after an agreement between the governing body (FIA) and the teams.

The new system will see places rewarded in a 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 sequence.

F1 bosses believe a seven-point gap between first and second place, rather than the current two-point separation, will promote a 'race-to-win' attitude.

Retarded! if they kept with 10, 6,4,2,1 and thasts it there wouldnt be an issue, now half the grid nearly score points.. ruddy stupid!

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone watch the race yesterday? I thought it was the most tedious one I've ever seen. It was more of a parade than a race. If Button hadn't stopped Rosberg exiting his tyre change and Vettell's engine hadn't coughed then it would have been 48 laps of no action whatsoever. Whoever did away with the refueling needs to put it back ASAP. We've now lost the ability to overtake tactically so races aren't going to be worth following after lap 1.

• Paid Members

Yesterday's race was fairly dull to be honest. Hopefully it was the "first day back at school" syndrome where the drivers were just overly cautious.

It does look like the refuelling ban has been a huge mistake but only time will tell. It seems that all you need to do is make sure you qualify well and then don't fall off the road to be guaranteed points.

Also, I know they are a new team but allowing the Hispania cars to start the race after qualifying nearly 10 seconds off Pole Position time is pretty dangerous, especially as they have two F1 rookies in their cars.

Be patient - after 4/5 races if it is still dull then we need to tweek the rules.

I hope we get a good few wet races again this year - give Schumi a chance to put the kids back in their place and the pit strategy will be crazy.

The Hormone Replacement Therapy cars were never going to be a danger - look back to before '95 & the back of the grid was often that far off the pace (and I know the drivers are better protected, but at Le Mans, cars are upto a whole minute per lap off the pace).

I think the Lada cars went much better than expected.

The concern that fuel consumption would be bad for Cosworth and Ferrari seems to have been unwarrented.

Lotus got both cars to the finish - when was the last time a real new team (i.e. not a Brawn type takeover) did that?

Anyone watch the race yesterday? I thought it was the most tedious one I've ever seen. It was more of a parade than a race. If Button hadn't stopped Rosberg exiting his tyre change and Vettell's engine hadn't coughed then it would have been 48 laps of no action whatsoever. Whoever did away with the refueling needs to put it back ASAP. We've now lost the ability to overtake tactically so races aren't going to be worth following after lap 1.

This^

The main reason for this was Hermann Tilke for ruining F1 tracks asunder. No matter how much they piss about with the rules shite track design will not help

You thought yesterday was boring, Valencia will be acid tipped forks to the eyes time for shiteness

Follow this topic for more information regarding the 'great' man himself.

• Paid Members

I almost slipped into a coma to be honest. It was very boring but I'm still optimistic about the rest of the season. I yesterday's boredom might have been partly to do with the circuit as well, it's quite a boring circuit in itself without the lack of action because of the new rules. I think Ferrari were lucky that Vettel's car had a bit of a coughing fit but as Rick said if that hadn't have happened then it would have been even more boring (god forbid!).

I'm looking forward to Melbourne more because that's the first proper race of the season. I love Albert Park and something always happens there (usually on the first lap) so hopefully it'll be better than Bahrain.

On the girly side though, this has to be one of the prettiest seasons ever. I'm totally in love with the Virgin Racing guys, especially Glock. I still think Vettel's the one to watch though, I think he could definitely give Alonso and Massa a run for their money in the Ferraris.

Thought the race was a bit slow (as seen in the lap times) much like everyone else.

Thought Alonso proved his worth, consistently he is the best man on the track and thought it showed during the race, I reckon he would have passed Vettel anyway at some point and was just sitting behind him waiting for the chance.

Reliability will be interesting this year and can plenty of non-finishes especially with the no change of engine rule.

On the plus side, the driver line up this season is great and is the best I have seen in years, you got like 8 strong drivers who are all as good as each other on any given day, although can see Button struggling this year, probably too early to make any bold predictions but I would say the title will be between Alonso/Vettel/Massa with Hamilton not too far behind and Button having no chance but anything can happen so can't rule too much out.

2010 is shaping up to be the best season ever.

1993 and 2003 would beg to differ with you on that one. Heck, if it's as good as 2007 I'd be surprised.

The first race was extraordinarily boring, so let's keep our fingers crossed it gets a lot better, soon.

Potentially (well pre-season) I was looking at the drivers list and it had the potential to be one of the better seasons as far as the championship being competitive goes, probably not the best season ever (as pointed out) but on paper it looks like it could be great to watch, although now that they have fucked about with the rules again (every fucking year they do this?!) I'm unsure what will happen, it might be more competitive and close...but feel the races will drag for 3/4 of the way through until the last 10-15 laps where things might get exciting as the cars get quicker (tyres permitting) and the tyre wear makes the cars a little bit more iffy.

Will be one of them seasons where you will watch the first 5-10 minutes, then can come back an hour later and not miss much and see a decent finish, hopefully am wrong though.

Archived