GTAV

Astro Hollywood

They need some humour back, or at least something cool. All the the games pre gta4 had a cool as fuck lead character clearly based on massive gangsta films people knew and loved.

GTA4 had an eastern european who'd probably commited war atrocities.

As a result it got a little too gritty, and lost alot of it's fun. Hope they change that.

• Moderators
They need some humour back, or at least something cool. All the the games pre gta4 had a cool as fuck lead character clearly based on massive gangsta films people knew and loved.

As a result it got a little too gritty, and lost alot of it's fun. Hope they change that.

The Ballad of Gay Tony had plenty of humour, so it's not like they've just abandoned that. Rumours have been a shift to Vinewood, and the setting of fucked up movie people probably lends itself to a lighter tone.

The one thing that does surprise me is that this is a straight up number 5. They've said before that each numbered GTA lasts for the life cycle of the console, so I was expecting whatever this generation's Vice City would be. Then again, this gen's life cycle is way longer than previous.

True but they were the add on's, which I think were reactions to how gritty the actual GTA4 was.

I can see the reasoning behind moving from 4 to 5 though. Cos 4 wasn't really a massive step up from 3, certainly not in the same league as the difference between 2 and 3.

So you'd hope with the huge amount of extra power the ps3 has compared to the ps2 (and the 360, obviously) this could be the ground breaking next level amazingness we'd all like.

• Paid Members
True but they were the add on's, which I think were reactions to how gritty the actual GTA4 was.

I can see the reasoning behind moving from 4 to 5 though. Cos 4 wasn't really a massive step up from 3, certainly not in the same league as the difference between 2 and 3.

So you'd hope with the huge amount of extra power the ps3 has compared to the ps2 (and the 360, obviously) this could be the ground breaking next level amazingness we'd all like.

There is never going to be as big as step in the series as there was between 2 and 3 just like there will never be as big a step in the Mario games as there was between Super Mario World (or Yoshi's Island, if you want to be pedantic) and Mario 64.

I hope not. If you want mindless explosions separated by a selection of gimmicks, that's covered by Saints Row. GTA IV had a myriad of problems but it was definitely a step in the right direction, not just for the series but for games as a whole.

• Paid Members

Great stuff, can't wait for this. I think Kiffy summed it up best with:

Spot on, I was saying this to friends recently. The best thing about Vice City, San Andreas and even GTA3 & the original game was that they were fucking cool. Plenty of humour, fun dialogue and playing these games was highly enjoyable. GTA4 lost that cool and fun element. The characters were ok but not great, but the storylines were a bit dull. I think they missed a trick in not heavily involving the five families and Jersey crew. Graphically and gameplay-wise, the game was light years ahead of it's predecessors, which is as expected given the hardware.

I really hope GTA5 is set in Vice City. In fact, I just want a complete re-boot of the original, but obviously with much more that the next-gen consoles can cope with. Vice City was uber-cool. San Andreas, although not quite as cool, had a billion things to do and plenty of fun to have.

I really hope series picks up again after the disappointing last effort. I tried to give it another go a couple of weeks ago, I really did, but I just got bored.

I think graphically it was a massive, massive step (again as expected). You play GTA4, then go back to play San Andreas straight after. I struggled.

• Moderators

I'm really hoping for another retro setting. I feel like there should be one, every generation. If they are going back to Vinewood, imagine a period Hollywood GTA. Movie stars and 70's rock and a Charles Manson character stalking the -

sorry, just ejaculated.

The leaked casting call for voice actors from a while back definitely had it set in Beverly Hills, but also had character names that crossed over with the GTA4 world, but I'd imagine like with casting calls for secretive TV shows or whatnot, they're deliberately kept vague and even outright completely wrong to keep everything locked down. Whatever we're getting, I'd bet on another two Episodes From... expansion packs, so I'm especially dying for the period thing.

Actually, they'd probably want to steer clear of retro Hollywood after LA Noire :(

Edited by Woyzeck

Great stuff, can't wait for this. I think Kiffy summed it up best with:

Cos 4 wasn't really a massive step up from 3, certainly not in the same league as the difference between 2 and 3.

I think graphically it was a massive, massive step (again as expected). You play GTA4, then go back to play San Andreas straight after. I struggled.

Must admit haven't played andreas in ages, but the only real update seemed to be the graphics. Which you would expect. Game play wise it didn't seem better, in fact if anything it almost went backwards. Less to do, less size, I was expecting something mindblowing. And got something that looked alot better.

Though as matey probably rightly said, it might be silly to expect a similar leap as there was between 2-3.