Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Foley's not re-signing then:

Mick Foley posted the following on his official Facebook page:

To deal..or not to deal - that is the question. As some of you may have heard, at this point, I am opting not to sign my Legends Marketing Deal, which gives #WWE the right to market my likeness on video games and action figures. I'll be writing in more detail about this in the next week or so, but it would be fair to say that, despite strong sales, I have found the payoffs for the past two video games to be extremely weak - in the 25% range of what most talent was expecting.

Last year, the explanation had something to do with the video game company going bankrupt - a real shame for me, since I was heavily featured as three characters from the "Attitude" era, complete with voice work. I haven't heard this year's explanation yet, but, personally. I think the #WWE just wants to see if the talent will accept a far lower percentage than had previously been given. If so, it would proably be a good business move for #WWE, since very few current wrestlers are going to jeapordize their standing with the company by offering resistance - and most legends will probably come to feel like anything they get from merchandise is better than nothing.

As for me: until I hear a valid reason, I'm opting out.

I guessing its more to do with the fact he got shouted at by Flair and JBL for saying Tyson was the reason WrestleMania 14 was a success and he got upset. Like the last time he left.

WWE are probably stiffing him on money because he's been such a moany cunt about the company's booking decisions (his favourites not winning) for the last year or so.Serves him right for biting the hand that feeds.He's a nobody in the grand scheme of old timers they've got knocking about nowadays anyway,so doubt Vince/HHH will miss him too much.

I've said it before but Foley's fall from grace has been truly staggering. When he first lost that retirement match to Triple H I was genuinely heartbroken that he wouldn't be around anymore. Now I couldn't care if I never see or hear from him again. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that he was always a complete twat though. I'm more inclined to think all those concussions have played their part in his current mental state.

I've said it before but Foley's fall from grace has been truly staggering. When he first lost that retirement match to Triple H I was genuinely heartbroken that he wouldn't be around anymore. Now I couldn't care if I never see or hear from him again. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that he was always a complete twat though. I'm more inclined to think all those concussions have played their part in his current mental state.

Couldn't it be as simple as a combination of (a) overexposure, and (b) success giving him an elevated sense of his own importance? When he first 'retired', you could look at it as a bloke who seemed to be genuinely peaking in terms of both popularity and match quality, so of course people were sad that he was bowing out. And when his first book came out, he did come across as legitimately funny, engaging, and the sort of bloke you sincerely wanted to do well for himself.

But, for me, a big part of Foley's appeal both as a wrestler and a personality was that underdog factor. His first few comebacks didn't do much to harm his image, because the programmes with Orton and Edge were both qualified creative successes that helped to put over future stars - in other words, he did what he did so well back when he was a full-time wrestler. Where it started to fall apart was that ECW run, coupled with that hardback love letter to Melina. That was the point when his self-indulgent streak stopped coming across as endearing, and started to be counterproductive, in both his books and his wrestling appearances. His comebacks and books since have been the shits. He's lost the underdog factor, the image of the brave creative voice trying to be heard against the odds, and now has the air of someone who demands to be taken notice of because of the success they've had in the past, disregarding the failures they've had in the intervening period. I don't think concussions are to blame - he's not Benoit-mental, he's just a bit pissy, huffy and entitled. I think Foley's a simple case of someone who should've quite while they were ahead.

• Awards Moderator

But, for me, a big part of Foley's appeal both as a wrestler and a personality was that underdog factor. His first few comebacks didn't do much to harm his image, because the programmes with Orton and Edge were both qualified creative successes that helped to put over future stars - in other words, he did what he did so well back when he was a full-time wrestler. Where it started to fall apart was that ECW run, coupled with that hardback love letter to Melina. That was the point when his self-indulgent streak stopped coming across as endearing, and started to be counterproductive, in both his books and his wrestling appearances. His comebacks and books since have been the shits. He's lost the underdog factor, the image of the brave creative voice trying to be heard against the odds, and now has the air of someone who demands to be taken notice of because of the success they've had in the past, disregarding the failures they've had in the intervening period. I don't think concussions are to blame - he's not Benoit-mental, he's just a bit pissy, huffy and entitled. I think Foley's a simple case of someone who should've quite while they were ahead.

The bit in bold is what did it for me. Foley was one of my absolute favourites from the time my friend David lent me Have A Nice Day to read the Hell In A Cell chapter before a school orchestra practice in 2000. He was all-time top 3 for me, along with Undertaker and Warrior. I bought both autobiogs, and later both novels. I genuinely missed him not being on the shows after Vince fired him following Armageddon. I was thrilled every time he came back, whether that was for something big like the Orton feud or that time in May 2001 where he plugged Foley Is Good, did something with (I think) Rikishi and that was it. I think I even pre-ordered Hardcore Diaries.

Then I read it.

Then I gave it to the charity shop.

That book really disillusioned me on Foley - and was following not-overly-positive reports of him at Universal Uproar on the Wrestling Channel forums. Not just the Melina stuff, which undoubtedly crossed the line to Creepy Fucker, but the voice and the style that had seemed so personable and affable up to then (on page and on screen) had started to come across as whiny and put-upon. I seem to remember a fair bit of it being complaining about not getting his way with angles. The content, too. Instead of Have A Nice Day, which had so much to draw on, or Foley Is Good, which got past its restricted timeline on good will, this one was really stretching things to pad out a book's worth, and I didn't like that. I was starting to go off one of my favourite wrestlers.

If it had just been the book I might have still been okay with Foley, but he was less and less the Foley I loved on TV too. The Flair feud - which had a decent behind-the-scenes build up - turned into two out of shape guys bleeding, and then turned into a Melina angle I think. The other matches - match after match from a guy who was supposed to have been completely finished. The Orton match was a huge deal because it was his first one on one match in forever. The Edge match had a good reason. But didn't he also wrestle Carlito or Coach or someone around this time? I no longer gave a shit if a show had a Mick Foley match on it.

Then he went to TNA and, unlike Christian or Sting or Nash or someone, it felt like he was pissing away the remaining legacy and good will he had left for a bit more money. Which is fair enough, because you've got to earn a living I suppose. But as a fan, I didn't care in the slightest about him in TNA, had no desire to watch one of his matches, rolled my eyes when I heard he was their Champion, and gave up a quarter of a way through the sample chapter of Countdown To Lockdown. I read Tietam Brown fucking TWICE. I imported fucking Scooter. I even finished Hardcore Diaries, and I couldn't get through the sample chapter of this one. I had definitely gone off Foley.

I don't want to blame the Internet for things, but Mick should have stuck to handwriting his books and stayed offline, because every time he does a blog or a Facebook post or a tweet I grow slightly more indifferent to him. And I'm already pretty fucking indifferent. I want to like him again. I want to stick on one of his DVDs - I've got a couple, including that Hard Knocks And Cheap Pops one that ends in 2000 - and enjoy them. I want to be a fan again. But he makes it really fucking hard for that to happen. I don't think my tastes have changed; okay, I turned into a fapper for a couple of years in the mid-2000s, but my favourites are still Undertaker and Warrior. It's Foley that's changed. Hasn't he? Right? Or perhaps he was always like this and his on-screen-on-page persona clouded the whiny, entitled, Melina perv within.

By all accounts his first stand up tour was great, Ian's report certainly sounded so. It was right in the middle of Newcastle city centre, dead easy to get to, and I wasn't doing anything that night. But I didn't go. Teenage me would have been right in the pre-order, VIP, front row, whatever, I'd have taken your arm off for a chance to hear Mick Foley speak in person... And to MEET him after? Fucking hell, Mick, just take all my money. And yet... When it actually happened, post Hardcore Diaries, post TNA, post diminishing return after diminishing return... I wasn't bothered. One of my one-time all-time favourites, right round the corner, and I wasn't bothered. And that makes me sad.

I could blame Melina, though, I suppose. Fucking Melina.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

He kept mentioning her in interviews and he had a column on WWE.com where he cried about her treatment (everyone hated her because they were around her at TV tapings and witnessed her diva like behavior, and Foley only saw her when she was being nice to the big fat man child when he'd make his one off appearances and assumed she was a lovely lass). She got took to wrestlers court and Foley wasn't best pleased. Over defending a horrible nutjob of a slag is never the best idea. It really exposed him as a bit of a weirdo. He acted like when you are at school and you fancy a lass who gives you a bit of attention, and it blinds you to how awful she is and how all your mates hate her. He thinks he's coming off as charming, but he really keeps exposing himself as a oversensitive dick. Like when he noticed Meltzer didn't praise his TNA promos and instead of going "must try harder" he went ballistic going "you used to like me when I was in WWE :( ." He's just turned into an absolute turd of a man these days. Like me and you spoke about in chat the other week about how late 90s big names have fallen off a cliff.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay