MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

decided to stick this up, i know the UKFF tried to keep the MMA threads down to a minimum, but i found i'm starting to clog up the MMA News thread with my thoughts on old stuff, so i made this for a place to discuss any old MMA fights you might watch and fancy discussing. Nice place for newer fans to come in and maybe find out about some fights they've not seen before.

Also link up some youtube stuff if you fancy, highlight videos or whatever...

• Paid Members

ive started to watch Cage Rage 22 (which i attended) on DVD...know i know Cage Rage got a hell of a lot of stick, but for the final 5-6 shows they did they really got it together. The production, commentary, camera work here is fantastic. Stephen Quadros really brought the commentary team together and it works well. O'Donnell is still an absolute cretin of a presenter, but i can live with it. The card itself is a treat, it's a shame they fell apart (Ultimate Challenge, the spin-off isn't on the same level)...

* Eric "Butterbean" Esch vs Tengiz Tedoradze

* Mario Sperry vs Lee Hasdell

* Neil Grove vs James Thompson

* Dave Legeno vs Herb Dean

* Gary Turner vs Edson Drago

* Paul Cahoon vs Mark Epstein

* James McSweeney vs Mark Buchanan

* Robbie Olivier vs Ronnie Mann

* Tom Watson vs Ed Smith

* Ross Mason vs Marius Zaromskis

* Damien Riccio vs Michael Johnson

* Tom Watson vs Ed Smith

* Dean Bray vs Ross Pointon

remember i paid

Nice idea for a thread. I am slowly trying to make may through the earlier UFC's that I didn't watch at the time, and wanted to make a post about the show I will be writing about now, but just couldn't find anywhere suitable, so now here goes. Sorry the notes will not be as detailed as what they could have been as it is several months down the line.

UFC 21 07.16.99

• Paid Members

Good idea this thread.

I've been watching a few Pride DVDs lately.Recently these ones I've enjoyed most

Pride 28:'High Octane'

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton Jackson

Mirko Cro Cop vs Josh Barnett

Dan Henderson vs Kazuhiro Nakamura

Mark Hunt vs Dan Bobish

Alistair Overeem vs Hiromitsu Kanehara

Alexander Emelianenko vs James Thompson

Ricardo Arona vs Sergei Ignatev

Heath Herring vs Hirotaka Yokoi

Bonus Fight:Choi Mu Bae vs Soa Palelei

Very fun card top to bottom with none of the fights going to a decision.The main event makes this card though.Wanderlei-Rampage 2 is better than their first or third fights as it's more back and forth and has one of the most memorable finishes in MMA history.Plus Wand wins ;)

Other highlights include Aleks Emelianenko and James Thompson's 12 second fireworks display,a motivated Heath Herring looking like a beast,the viciousness of Mark Hunt and Overeem's impressive Muay Thai clinch work against Kanehara.

A few fights have controversial endings unfortunately with Barnett and Nakamura both getting injured early on in their fights causing quick and strange endings which was disappointing but overall a top card from Pride.Even the bonus fight Choi-Palelei is a really entertaining slugfest.

Pride Shockwave 2004

Fedor Emelianenko vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Wanderlei Silva vs Mark Hunt

Takanori Gomi vs Jens Pulver

Dan Henderson vs Yuki Kondo

Mirko Cro Cop vs Kevin Randleman

Rulon Gardner vs Hidehiko Yoshida

Anderson Silva vs Ryo Chonan

Ryan Gracie vs Yoji Anjoh

Choi Mu Bae vs Giant Silva

Ikuhisa Minowa vs Stefan Leko

Bonus Fight:Makoto Takimoto vs Sentoryu Miller

You only have to look at that line up and you can tell it's gonna be awesome.

Fedor vs Big Nog is for the Heavyweight Title and is a rematch of the finals of the 2004 HW GP because the original GP final was ruled a no contest after a clash of heads left Fedor with a huge cut.Fedor is scarily dominant in this fight.Randy Couture is on commentary with Mauro and Bas for this fight which is interesting considering he's since fought Nogueira and left UFC in 2007 to persue the Fedor fight.

As for the rest of the card you have an absolute war between Hunt and Wanderlei,Rulon Garner's only MMA fight,Chonan submitting Anderson Silva with an amazing flying scissors leg lock,Cro Cop-Randleman 2 and a stand up battle between Gomi and Pulver.

One of the best cards Pride ever put on.The DVD is 2 discs and packed with extra stuff,interviews etc.

• Paid Members

:laugh: I know it gets addictive.At the minute I've got the 2003,2004,2005 & 2006 GPs,Shockwave 2004,05 & 06,Bushido 6-9 and Prides 11 & 12,19 & 20,25,28 and 33.Can't stop buying them.

I'd highly recommend the Pride Bushido shows too.Bushido 9 is IMO the best Pride show I've seen and one of my favourite MMA shows ever.One great fight after another.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I got one called Extreme Fighting Vols 1-4 but haven't got round to watching yet.Supposed to be good.It's got the likes of Mario Sperry,Conan Silveira,Carlos Newton,Maurice Smith and even a fight between Matt Hume and Erik Paulson which I'm quite looking forward to.

I'm also looking to get hold of some of the K-1 DVDs aswell.On MMAUniverse.com they've got a Jan sale on until the 31st,they've got K-1 Dynamite USA '07(Lesnar's debut/Royce vs Saku 2),Dynamite 2005,06 & 07,plus K-1 GPs,Hero's,Cage Rage,Cage Warriors etc.

And there's a DVD set of Rumble On The Rock shows on the US Amazon which features the BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi fight,Anderson Silva vs Okami,Cabbage vs Tank etc.Need to check my DVD player can play NTSC before I buy that one though.

Too many DVDs I want and not enough money is my problem.

Wish they would release WEC,Dream & Strikeforce DVDs with prelims etc.WEC prelims are impossible to find if they never aired on the live broadcast.All them great fights that never see the light of day.

Edited by wandshogun09

Battlecade Extreme Fighting was John Perretti's seminal promotion that uncovered great fighters, brought in rounds, gloves, introduced more fouls and created weight classes. Like all NHB of the era, it is kind of dated now. However, it is still good stuff. Perretti was a decent matchmaker but a terrible commentator, as anybody who watched the YAMMA show would recall. Good lord, if I were rich, I'd buy the Yamma.

I got one called Extreme Fighting Vols 1-4 but haven't got round to watching yet.Supposed to be good.It's got the likes of Mario Sperry,Conan Silveira,Carlos Newton,Maurice Smith and even a fight between Matt Hume and Erik Paulson which I'm quite looking forward to.

Wish they would release WEC,Dream & Strikeforce DVDs with prelims etc.WEC prelims are impossible to find if they never aired on the live broadcast.All them great fights that never see the light of day.

I have seen Extreme Fighting II & IV, and II is an awful card. IV on the otherhand (if it is the one that features the debuts of Kevin Jackson and Kenny Monday) is the polar opposite and is really worth making the effort to see. I am pretty sure I still have that on an old NTSC video somewhere. I will post some more detailed thoughts on II in the morning when I dig out my matchlistings and notes.

In regards to the WEC, dont the prelims eventually air on the Wrekcage show on Versus? I have got the first two seasons, and am pretty sure there was a season 3.

• Paid Members
until the 31st,they've got K-1 Dynamite USA '07(Lesnar's debut/Royce vs Saku 2),Dynamite 2005,06 & 07,plus K-1 GPs,Hero's,Cage Rage,Cage Warriors etc.

And there's a DVD set of Rumble On The Rock shows on the US Amazon which features the BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi fight,Anderson Silva vs Okami,Cabbage vs Tank etc.Need to check my DVD player can play NTSC before I buy that one though.

Too many DVDs I want and not enough money is my problem.

i believe the Rumble on the Rock DVD's are region free. I plan on getting them too.

• Paid Members

ive got the Extreme Fighting 1-4 DVD, i watched it years ago when i was just starting to become a diehard, i remember them having Sperry listed as being something like 150-0 on there, doing the old 'BJJ matches included' thing, he fights Igor Zinoviev...it's abit of an MMA classic.

A few fight listings and notes from my own list on a few of the cards that have been mentioned, and I will add the continuining praise for Pride Bushido 9, as it is one of the best MMA shows in history.

EXTREME FIGHTING II 04.26.96

Jason Canals vs Nigel Scantelbury (boring fight with lots of lying on the canvas and not doing much)

John Lewis vs Jim Teachout

Steve Falkner vs Igor Zinoviev

Ralph Gracie vs Steve Nelson

Jean Riviere vs Carlos Newton

Marcus