The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

Here it is ladies and gentlemen, your official UKFF Top 50 Games!

Some quick stats before we get started:

* 61 UKFFers took part

* 467 different games were nominated

* Only 45 different games were awarded 1st place

* 36 different formats were cited

Once the countdown is finished, I'll post some additional stats for formats and genres, plus those that narrowly missed a spot in #100 - #50 .

(Note: the formats listed after the title are the formats that made up its votes - if other versions exist, they weren't voted for or didn't make it).

The list:

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

50. WCW/nWo Revenge

49. International Superstar Soccer Pro 98

48. Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

47. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

46. Half Life 2

45. Harvest Moon

44. Street Fighter IV

43. Donkey Kong Country 2

42. Halo 3

41. Lemmings

40. Resident Evil 2

39. Shenmue

38. Pro Evolution Soccer 6

37. Final Fantasy VIII

36. Halo

35. Guitar Hero III

34. Super Mario Bros 3

33. The Secret of Monkey Island

32. World of Warcraft

31. Silent Hill 2

30. Sensible World of Soccer

29. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

28. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

27. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

26. Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow

25. Grand Theft Auto III

24. Pro Evolution Soccer 5

23. Mario Kart 64

22. Sonic The Hedgehog

21. Grand Theft Auto IV

20. Street Fighter II

19. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

18. Fallout 3

17. Championship Manager 01/02

16. WWE SmackDown: Here Comes The Pain

15. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

14. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

13. Super Mario 64

12. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

11. Super Mario World

10. Final Fantasy VII

9. Tetris

8. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

7. Metal Gear Solid

6. WWF No Mercy

5. Super Mario Kart

4. Resident Evil 4

3. Streets of Rage 2

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

1. GoldenEye 007

Edited by Black2

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator

49. International Superstar Soccer 98 (PlayStation)

184756-iss_pro_98_large.jpg

Metacritic score: N/A

The critics say:

“With gameplay as good as this, proving to be ridiculously addictive, just as Pro Evolution Soccer is today, plus the six various modes to play around with and sixty four teams to choose from, nine stadia to play on, four weather conditions, choice of time of day, as well as the option of multiplayer with up to three friends, ISS '98 is a triumph in the longevity stakes.”

-Cubed3

“ISS plays just like a good soccer game should. The control is impeccable, the AI smart, and everything feels just right. Well, not everything. I think it's about time Konami realized that a soccer game isn't complete without an official license. A picture of Valdeerrama and three arenas is just not the same as having the real teams and players. If you already own ISS64, see if you find a trade-in deal to get your hands on the new one, otherwise, the amount of additions is not quite enough to warrant purchase of the sequel.”

-IGN

iss1.jpg

UKFFers say:

“It was the first game that I had that had a good go at players resembling those in real life (that was a big thing), with a crazy comentator to boot.”

“The second best football game ever?”

“I know the Pro Evo series is better, but this was god damned playable. Also, you know how most football games give you a decidedly unsatisfactory celebratory sequence after you win an epic tourney? This game, after winning the World Cup, took you through every match, showing you every goal you scored from cool angles, had extended sequences of you running riot with the cup, celebrating joyously with fans like Tommy Dreamer after his ECW title win, being knighted by the Queen, etc. It made all the effort worthwhile. And like in every great football game, you get comebacks, and you'll score the goal that puts you ahead with ten minutes to go in the semi final and you'll shout YES and your coop partner will shout YES and you'll high five and scream and shout. Or you'll lose by a single goal in injury time and you could replay the game, but that'd be fucking CHEATING, so you sigh and start again because you know it was your own fault and you want to win HONESTLY, damnit. Games~!”

iss98_01.jpg

Black2 says:

The first of quite a few football titles in the rundown. I only ever played this in two player mode, but I particularly loved taking advantage of the referee not blowing the final whistle until an attack had finished, thus trapping the ball in the opponent’s half doing taunty runs at the goal.

Edited by Black2

• Awards Moderator
I could be wrong, but weren't the ISS games for the PS and the N64 at that time not completely different ? I'm sure that the N64 had ISS 64 at this time and the PS had ISS Pro 98.

Yes, you're right. Corrected it now.