The 10 Matches You Take...

Midnight Zeus

Desert Island Wrestling Matches - or something like that!You are allowed to take ten matches with you BUT any one wrestler can only feature in one of the ten matches. Please try to adhere to this rule or it just turns onto another 'my 10 fave matches' thread which would be a tad repetitive.So, what are your ten matches and why?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask me this on 10 different days and you'll probably get 10 different answers! Here is today's:The Powers of Pain, The Rockers, The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, and The Young Stallions vs Demolition, The Brain Busters, The Bolsheviks, Fabulous Rougeaus, and The Conquistadors

• Paid Members

Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage (WM7)This is my single favourite ever match. See numerous other threads for reasons why.Hart Foundation vs Demolition (Inteferferance from LOD, Summerslam 90)My favourite tag match ever. Shame I can't use Bret again, but I'd take this one.Ric Flair vs Vince McMahon (Royal Rumble 2002)Since I can't use the 1992 Rumble, I'm having this one. A very good effort for 2 non-workers, Flair's first match back in WWFE and a more enjoyable match to me then some his stuff with Luger/Sting.Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant (WM3)Awesome build up led to this momentous, if crap, match. I'd enjoy it for the pre-match video package alone.Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon (WM10)Needs no explanation. Still the best ladder match ever.British Bulldog vs Owen Hart (European Championship Finals)A nice match, not either man's best, but a bit of a dream match, Davey on form and a new title created.Chris Benoit vs Triple H (Smackdown, Jan 00)Forget Goldberg-Rock, Hogan-Rock, etc. This is the dream match I couldn't believe I was seeing. Arguably the best 2 workers in the world and the 2 major world champions in the US only a month before. Awesome.Jake Roberts vs The Undertaker (WM8)Not a great technical match. Signalled the start of babyface Undertaker, and the end of Jake in the WWF. UT kicking out of the DDT was shocking.Goldberg vs Scott Steiner (Fall Brawl 00)A super stiff slugfest, showed the best of both men.Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow (Heatwave 98)Great PPV, Great match, great finish. Taz & BBB had good chemistry.

Well I guess ill take a few long matches just to pass the time(sorry about short reasons).1: Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat(2 out of 3 falls): Clash Of the Champions.I prefer that Wrestlewar match but as I mentioned above, this is longer.2: Bret Hart vs Steve Austin: Wrestlemania 13To remind me of what wrestling was like at its best.3: Mitsuhara Misawa vs Kenta Kobashi: October 97(?)Now this is the only full match ive seen between the two so I really had no idea what the history of their matches is etc. but anyway when it finished I was left breathless. Easily one of the best matches ive seen.4: Chris Benoit vs William Regal: Brian Pillman memorial show.Well I havnt seen it, but how can I turn down a match that Jim Cornette calls the best match ever?5: The Rock vs HHH(The Iron Man Match): Judgmentday 2000.Another match that falls into the "I havent seen it but ive heard good things" category, and it does last an hour.6: Royal Rumble 92.But if I cant choose that due to Flair:6: Toshiaki Kawada vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan: ??? 2001My first taste of Japanese wrestling and I still love it today, a very underated match indeed but Kawada has probably had 100 better matches, id just concider this something special.7: Akira Hokuto vs Shinobu Kandori: Dreamslam 1How could I leave this out? Easily the best female match ever.8: Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai vs Manami Toyota & Toshio Yamada: Dreamslam 2Trapped on a desert island without footage of Ozaki? Ill end up going insane.9: Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko: ECW Hostile City ShowdownWell I need some Eddie footage and his match against Rey is too short.10: coming soon!

Edited by Benoitmark

Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior - WWF WrestleMania VIIBritish Bulldog vs Shawn Michaels - WWF One Night OnlyBret Hart vs Mr. Perfect - WWf SummerSlam 91Mankind vs The Undertaker - WWF In Your House 14Doug Williams vs Bryan Danielson - ROH Scramble MadnessSteve Austin vs The Rock - WWF WrestleMania X7RVD vs Jerry Lynn - ECW Living Dangerously 99Tajiri vs Super Crazy - ECW Living Dangerously 99The Dudley Boyz vs The Hardy Boyz - WWF Royal Rumble 2000Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho - WWF Royal Rumble 2001

• Paid Members

1. Benoit vs HBK vs HHH @ WMXXGreat match with the result most people wanted, along with HHH tapping.2. Rock vs Steve Austin @ WMX7Again a great match, with an excelent twist at the end.3. Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect @ KOTR 93Wanted to pick these wrestlers anyway, might as well take this solid match along.4. Legion Of Doom vs Money Inc @ Summerslam 92Need a tag-team match and I'll also need to hear that entrance music, with the Money Inc music being a bonus. All good wrestlers, also this will remind me of home.5. Savage vs Steamboat @ WM3An apparent classic that I'd like to see. Something new to watch.6. Undertaker vs Mankind, Hell In A Cell matchLike an explanation is needed.7. Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior @ WMVIHogan losing. Warrior winning. Made me smile. Oh, and the yellow IC title.8. British Bulldog vs Owen Hart @ European Title TournamentTwo late greats in another match I haven't seen.9. Hardys vs Dudleys vs E+C, TLC 1Nice bit of hardcore to take along.10. Tazz vs Kurt Angle @ RR 2000Loved Tazzs' debut, also saw the Angle winning streak end.

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 13Quite simply the best wrestling match I've ever seen. I've probably written two million words about this match in the past, but in short it had everything a match should have; psychology, drama, heat, and occation. Top it off with a tremendous performance by both men (Bret in particular), great announcing, the special ref to make it seem important, the Wrestlemania name, extraordinary build-up, great use of blood, and the double turn at the end, and you got yourself the classic of a century. Giant Baba vs Bruno Sammartino - March 1967In many ways even better than Hart/Austin. In fact, I'm not sure this isn't my all time favourite match. I wrote a long ass review on the RIM board (link to my log in my sig) after watching it. Baba puts in a performance of a lifetime, making you truly care, on a level as deep as I've yet to see anyone else do. Ever. I've always found Bruno to be boring to watch, and my opinion really wasn't changed with this match, but it's simply fantastic. Love Machine vs Blue Panther - Hair vs MaskIf Hart/Austin hadn't taken place this would have been the match of the decade. It's very similar actually with the double turn at the end. Art Barr goes from being one of the most popular wrestlers in the country to people basically wanting to kill him. You can sense it from the get-go, as the crowd show a lot of support for Panther (similar to American fans cheering Ric Flair, despite him being a heel), and it's starting to get to Art. For 20 minutes Art takes us on a rollercoaster walking the ultra thin line between being a heel and a babyface before exploding at the end. A true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Pure art. Pure Art.Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - 9.6.95You need to have these guys on your list, and this is their finest moment. I could have picked Misawa/Kawada from the year before, but this is actually the best match to take place in Japan during the 90's. Great performance from all men, in particular Kawada, who also get the big win at the end, for the first time ever pinning Misawa. Gamma & Daioh QUALLT vs INFINITY [Tsubasa & Black Buffalo] - Osaka Tag Festival 2001The best match from the best tournament ever in wrestling. After Togo, Hoshikawa, Yakushiji & Nishida left the company, Delfin needed to make new stars, and trusted Yoshihito Sugamoto into the top heel spot as Gamma. Paired up with Francoise and QUALLT to form FLUXxx they were on a roll from day one. After QUALLT got injured, they trusted INFINITY into the group, but that was after this tournament. At the time of this match Buffalo had just turned babyface after the LOV was broken up with Togo & Big Dick leaving. As far as the match itself, it had everything a tag match should have, with hot moves, near falls, saves, heat and a result that mattered. I would have put Liger/Murahama-INFINITY on, but that would have meant that this would be cut. And it also allowed me to include.....Jushin Liger vs Shinjiro Otani - 17.3.96Quite simply the best junior match ever put on. The heat is amazing, and Otani enters his best ever performance. Liger is his usual great self, and they go all out in a ***** classic. Raven & Stevie Richards vs Pit Bulls - 2/3 Falls Double Dog Collar, ECW Gangsta's ParadiseVaritey is one of the reasons I love wrestling, and while this is the total oposite of Liger/Otani, it's equally great. Often refered to as the best booked match ever, as it features twist and turns all over the place, and in addition to the four participants, also includes Beulah, Francine, 911, Bill Alfonso, Tommy Dreamer and the Dudleys. And Joey Styles is at his absolute best. Best ECW match ever, except for...Eddy Guerrero vs Dean Malenko - 2/3 Falls, August 95This was their farewell match before going to WCW, and what a match it was. Close to flawless technically, and with emotion rarely seen in wrestling. Also had the perfect result, with both men each getting a fall, before going to a double pin in the third, ending their feud as a draw. Normally I hate double pins, but it was the perfect thing to do in this match. Tremendous post-match as well. Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior - Wrestlemania VIII rate Savage above every American wrestler ever, and this does a good job in showing why. As limited as Warrior was, Savage puts on a one-man show that is yet to be dublicated, and produces an all-time classic. Tremendous heat and drama throughout, and can anyone say they were NOT in tears during the post-match?Ebessan vs Kuishinbo Kamen vs Monkey Magic - Osaka Pro Samurai TV, summer 2000The reason I've included this match in favor of some favourites of mine like Flair, Vader, Destroyer, Steamboat, Delfin, Benoit etc is quite simply because it's the most entertaining match I've ever seen. Obviously I can't rate it as 'good' as Hart/Austin, Baba/Sammartino and the likes, but for pure entertainment, it's right up there. They've done a million matches with eachother, but this is without a doubt the best. Best part is Ebessan fainting after smelling Kuishinbo's ass. The finish is a riot too. Blows the 5 star system away. Honorable mention to Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat from Wrestle War 89.EDIT: Can't believe I had to miss out on one of my favourite ever matches, Mankind vs Undertaker, Hell In A Cell :(

Yuji Nagata v Kazunrai Murakami

Edited by Terje Rindal

1*Cactus Jack vs HHH- No Way Out, Hell in a Cell 2000My most emotional moment as a wrestling fan, a great story told throughout and a great finish with the "Sweat, Blood and Tears"2* HBK vs Razor Ramon- Wrestlemania 10Set the standard for ladder matches and the HBK dive is memorable as it Michaels foot getting caught in the rope- perfect timing3* RVD vs Jerry Lynn- ECW Living DangerouslyMight not be the most technically sound match but i enjoyed some of the spots in this ecounter4* Hogan vs Warrior- Wrestlemania 6Made by the crowd5* Bret vs Bulldog- Summerslam 92Wrestling perfection and i stil mark for the unexpected roll up ending and the handshake6* Randy Orton vs Edge- Vengeance 2004Really enjoyed this match and i genuinely believed7* Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat- Wrestlemania 3A match way ahead of its time8* Benoit vs Kurt Angle- Royal Rumble 2003If only non wrestling fans could watch this match and then say "any1 can do that shit" :rolleyes:9* Rey Mysterio vs Eddie- Halloween Havoc 1996Typically class outing from both with big man little man storytelling10* Austin vs Rock- Wrestlemania 17Excellent action packed match with a shocking heel turn- WWE's peak

Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior - WM 7It was close between this and warrior vs. Hogan for Warrior's match, but this match has pretty much every reason I'm a wrestling fan thrown into it. Great story, great heat, great post-match angle, great commentary and a great carry job from savage. What WrestleMania is all about.Rock vs. Austin - WM X7Ten years later, Rock and Austin have another match that defines what the glitz, glamour and drama of WWF is all about. Add in that this IMO, is Austin's single greatest performance ever, subtly turning on the heelness, abolsutely DESPERATE to snatch that title from The Rock who just won't stay down, until Stone Cold does the unthinkable and sells his soul to the devil himself.Jay Briscoe vs. Samoa Joe, Cage Match - ROH At Our BestAsk em this in a year or so and this may not be here, but I just watched it last night. Wrote about it in the 'what tapes are you getting/watching' thread. Love the match, one of my fave Cage Matches ever, and easily my fave ROH match ever.Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog - SummerSlam 1992One of the greatest WRESTLING matches in WWF history, in front of a huge, rabid crowd, feels like a crowning moment in Bulldog's career. Great, great match.Eddie Guerrero vs. John Bradshaw LayfieldSay what you want, this match was only good because of the bladejob blah blah blah, SO WHAT? Pure, unadulterated entertinament for me. The crowd are so into Eddie killing Bradshaw, then comes the bladejob from hell!~~ He fucking HULKS UP from it and does the Eddie Dance whilst bleeding like a stuck pig!~~ Keep your Great Muta bladejobs, Eddie is the new king of colour! If I hadn't used eddie here, Black Tiger/Sasuke vs. Benoit/Ohtani would have been coming with me. So...Chris Benoit vs. Great Sasuke - Super J Cup FinalI'm sure this had been talked about 900 times before, so I'll just leave it at I'm taking this because it's FUCKING AWESOME.Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada - 6/3/94Quite possibly the greatest match ever. They go at it for over 40 minutes of non-stop action. Misawa's bleeds weird black stuff from his ear and they completely rip into each other for the most prestigious title in the world at that point. Misawa's Tiger Driver '91 is the perfect ending.TAKA Michinoku/Sho Funaki/Dick Togo/Shiryu/Men's Teioh vs. Gran Naniwa/Super Delfin/Tiger Mask IV/Masato Yakushiji/Gran Hamada - MPW 3rd anniversary ShowQuit simply awe-inspring. Non-stop lightning fast stuff, with the opening square-offs when they were still cool, the funny spots from Delfin and co, the great dick heel spots from Kainetai DX, leading into the cool flying/diving sequences, leading into the EVEN COOLER flying/diving sequences and near falls. Best 10-man ever, including Canadian Stampede. I just wish I could remember what tape of mine this is on because I have a real urge to wtach it.Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind - Mind GamesI don't care about the finish, these two went out there with very little build-up and in the home of ECW, blew away anythign ECW did that year. These two were ON that night.Goldberg vs. Hollywood Hogan - Georgia Dome NitroI was a massive Goldberg fan at the time. He was just about the hottest thing in wrestling, and had never really mixed it up with the main eventers. This match just came out of nowhere, and no one really thought they were going to give Goldberg the title on a non-PPV show. So when Goldberg hit the Spear and Jackhammer, with the crowd at fever pitch,a nd there was no NWO run-in, I couldn't beleive he'd actually dethroned Hogan. Unbelievable.So, there's my ten.

TAKA Michinoku/Sho Funaki/Dick Togo/Shiryu/Men's Teioh vs. Gran Naniwa/Super Delfin/Tiger Mask IV/Masato Yakushiji/Gran Hamada - MPW 3rd anniversary ShowQuit simply awe-inspring. Non-stop lightning fast stuff, with the opening square-offs when they were still cool, the funny spots from Delfin and co, the great dick heel spots from Kainetai DX, leading into the cool flying/diving sequences, leading into the EVEN COOLER flying/diving sequences and near falls. Best 10-man ever, including Canadian Stampede. I just wish I could remember what tape of mine this is on because I have a real urge to wtach it.

Terje, if you're still looking at the thread, you may know what tape this match is on? I think I got it off you...

TAKA Michinoku/Sho Funaki/Dick Togo/Shiryu/Men's Teioh vs. Gran Naniwa/Super Delfin/Tiger Mask IV/Masato Yakushiji/Gran Hamada - MPW 3rd anniversary ShowQuit simply awe-inspring. Non-stop lightning fast stuff, with the opening square-offs when they were still cool, the funny spots from Delfin and co, the great dick heel spots from Kainetai DX, leading into the cool flying/diving sequences, leading into the EVEN COOLER flying/diving sequences and near falls. Best 10-man ever, including Canadian Stampede. I just wish I could remember what tape of mine this is on because I have a real urge to wtach it.

Terje, if you're still looking at the thread, you may know what tape this match is on? I think I got it off you...
It's probably on the Michinoku Pro at Sumo Hall tape, also known as "These Days". I don't have it on any comps, so if you got it from me, it has to be on that tape. Unless I made you a comp. BTW, you're late in sending Raw & Smackdown to me :angry:

It's probably on the Michinoku Pro at Sumo Hall tape, also known as "These Days". I don't have it on any comps, so if you got it from me, it has to be on that tape. Unless I made you a comp. BTW, you're late in sending Raw & Smackdown to me :angry:
I think you may be right.And believe me, if I did tape SD & Raw for you still, I wouldn't send you SmackDown out of compassion. I don't want you to go through that. Do you not get SD & Raw form anyone any more?Oh, and what business have you got calling Austin vs. Hart the best match of the decade when Austin vs. Rock exists? :p

Do you not get SD & Raw form anyone any more?

Nah. Lost interest in early 2003. Only seen a few comps and WM 19 & 20 since then. Getting all PPV's I missed shortly though. Whether or not I'll actually watch them is a totally different matter. That FF button will probably come in handy, what with all the non-Nash stuff.

Oh, and what business have you got calling Austin vs. Hart the best match of the decade when Austin vs. Rock exists?  :p

Not sure. Either A) It was a better match, or B) It took place in different decades. Or both :cool:

Do you not get SD & Raw form anyone any more?

Nah. Lost interest in early 2003. Only seen a few comps and WM 19 & 20 since then. Getting all PPV's I missed shortly though. Whether or not I'll actually watch them is a totally different matter. That FF button will probably come in handy, what with all the non-Nash stuff.

Oh, and what business have you got calling Austin vs. Hart the best match of the decade when Austin vs. Rock exists?