1PW shuts up shop

Dean Ayass

Just read this on the 1PW site, this is the first I knew about it myself. Gutted barely starts to sum it up:

It is with the deepest regret and sadness that 1PW Promotions Limited announces today the company has ceased trading, effective today, and has entered into liquidation. The cease of trading is effective immediately, and thus all future dates, including the January 13th No Turning Back show, are sadly cancelled. On behalf of 1PW Promotions Limited I want to extend our heartfelt apology to anyone inconvenienced or disappointed by the cancellation of upcoming shows. Fans who have purchased tickets to upcoming shows can send an e mail to ticket refunds@hotmail.co.uk . All queries will be dealt with in a prompt and professional manner by our appointed insolvency practitioners. Any enquiries of a commercial nature should be directed to David Ward, Kaye Littlewood Solicitors, The Blades Enterprise Centre, Forsyth Suite, John Street, Sheffield S2 4SU

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

It's a shame, but they can't say that it wasn't coming. I've not shown a great interest in 1PW, but I have read the threads on here. From very early in their existence, people with a wise head were warning them that this would happen if they continued to be, what I'd call stupid, with their money and behave like marks rather then businessmen.Some will have a good laugh, but it's a shame that there is one less pay day for the guys, but not a shame that someone as ridiculously stubborn and bad natured as Gauntly is no longer involved in the British wrestling business.

• Paid Members

Hang on. Gauntley's cheque bounced, so Kikutaro spend $9,000 of his own cash for the AJPW flights and suchlike. Now the show isn't going ahead? I'll bet "gutted" comes nowhere near summing up how Kikutaro feels.

statement from steven off the 1pw boards1PW Fans I know that probably none of this makes sense to any of you right now. I wanted to post my own thoughts and feelings because the official statement is pretty cold. I am fully prepared for a deluge of anger, confusion and upset, and my hope is that in time you will all understand what has gone down. Myself and my family have given it everything that we have, and we would have given our lives to keep 1PW alive, but the decision is completely out of our hands. I know a lot of people will be pissed off that the show for next weekend is off, and like I said, I

If only 1PW listened to almost everyone on here when they first started up saying the model couldn't possibly work.....

They were going to book Rick Martel too??? Damn...lolSorry, but seriously, I want to get this in before the vultures settle around here....thank you very much to Steve and Rosie for putting on some truly great shows, and providing us with the opportunity to witness some unique and tremendous matches. Please be aware when hitting the damnation button that without these shows, there were a lot of stars and matches you would never have seen (Doug v Lance Storm anyone). For every ounce of hatred you may have towards 1PW and Steve Gauntley, there also has to be an acknowledgement for how they have benefitted us as a UK fanbase.As bad as some of the business decisions may have been, they were all carried out in order to provide fans with top notch shows. And for that I give what may well be the final bit of credit seen in this thread if I have judged the UKFF correctly on this matter!

Just a thought, (ill-educated speculation, if you will, with Farepak in mind) but won't the appointed insolvency practitioners discharge any commercial debt where they can before giving anything back to customers for ticket sales? It also seems strange that the aforementioned insolvency practitioners have set up a hotmail account to deal with this. I wouldn't hold my breath for ticket refunds.

Thoughts:1. Dean Ayass, recently appointed booker of 1PW, only finds out by reading the 1PW site? Nice way to treat your staff!2. Kikutaro gets royallly screwed over by Gauntley. Nice way to treat your Japanese contact!3. Fans have no guarantee of receiving pre-sale ticket money back - nice way to treat the fans!Good riddance Gauntley!

• Paid Members

It's probably for the best that Kikutaro dropped the Ebessan gimmick, because I doubt he feels too much like the God of business and good fortune at this point. Still, if he only has to pay cancellation fees rather than the full flights then it's probably for the best, as I don't think anyone thought he'd see that 9 grand again. I doubt he earns a huge amount working comedy opening matches for All Japan, so his treatment in all of this has been pretty shitty I must say.

Just a thought, (ill-educated speculation, if you will, with Farepak in mind) but won't the appointed insolvency practitioners discharge any commercial debt where they can before giving anything back to customers for ticket sales? It also seems strange that the aforementioned insolvency practitioners have set up a hotmail account to deal with this. I wouldn't hold my breath for ticket refunds.

It certainly doesn't look good for those who have already purchased tickets and who will now be looking for a refund but I'm not an expert on these sort of issues so hopefully someone with more experiance within the field may be able to fill us in on what is going to occur from now.I won't hide the fact that I used to love going to the 1PW shows, early last year I thought they were amazing and it meant I was able to get my brother into wrestling which I thought was fantastic. Though rumours started flying around, shows seemed rather unorganised so I left it at that and didn't really want those good memories ruined for me or my brother, plus I'd worked out that he enjoyed other smaller British shows just as much which cost me a fraction of the price so it saved me a lot of money in the long run.I do sort of feel sorry for the die hard fans, those who have put a hell of a lot more time and money into the product than I have but I don't feel sorry for Gauntley who was warned time and time again, it would be a shock to me if it already wasn't predicted some several months back. I can see Moj skipping happily home from work now, beaming from ear to ear. Edited by Seismic