RQW returns, asks for money

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Spotted this on Facebook earlier.

It seems to be the 'in' thing to do these days, but Len Davies of the British 'Real Quality Wrestling' promotion/badge/seal of approval is preparing for 'Phase 2' and is asking for $6,000 via Indiegogo to help get it up and running.

Here's a video message from the man himself:

lendavies.jpg

My history with Real Quality Wrestling and British wrestling in particular has been well documented. The original RQW TV show gave European promotions the opportunity to promote themselves on SKY and international TV at no cost to themselves. My other company, Spectrum Multimedia, made production equipment, entranceways, sound systems, lights, cameras, vision mixers, edit facilities, commentary and all of the elements needed for a professional show available free of charge or at minimal cost as I was trying to lift the industry back up to the levels it had attained prior to being removed from British TV. Many wrestling organisations have an archive of quality footage obtained by the umbrella organisation of RQW being on their side.

Now that I've relocated to California, it's time to bring the second part of the plan into play. I now have Worldwide distribution of the RQW programming, and new shows with the existing footage are being created constantly, from which the original promotions involved will receive some income when they start earning in about 3 months. This campaign is for the NEW "Real Quality Wrestling" show that will be recorded here in Hollywood using footage from promotions in the UK and Europe, the US and Australia at this time. I will be hosting the show as I did with the original series and this campaign is to raise the initial funds for the studio, crew and production time for the first part of season 1, 13 episodes of 50 minutes duration each.

The rewards for helping me to reach this goal will be access, depending on the contribution, to what is quite a unique archive of wrestling matches, as well as the new shows as they are developed. There will be several hundred hours of programming in existence very soon, over 100 of which is available now.

Real Quality wrestling has always had the interest of the wrestling community at heart, and those that know me will attest to that, so by helping me achieve the target I've set you will be contributing to the wrestling industry as a whole, although even if we do fall short, I will use whatever is raised to make this happen anyway, it will just be a bit tighter. My objective is to mirror what we did with the original show, and this is just the beginning of Phase 2.

Thank you all in advance!!!

So, what is all this? An attempt to produce a show of highlights from various UK/US/etc promotions and sell the rights to TV broadcasters worldwide?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For all their talk of production values, RQW's production was decidedly average. And if they need money from me, I can't imagine it's gonna get a lot better. This trend of startup things being funded online is pretty cool for some things, but it smacks of bandwagon jumping for a company that was started on the premise of doing things properly and professionally.

• Paid Members

Did RQW ever actually put out anything worth watching?

He's being a bit cheeky with those contributions 'Perks', though. Donate a THOUSAND DOLLARS and not only do you get to watch wrestling online, but you also get a download of 'RQW - The Music'.

• Paid Members

Yeah, had a proper look at the page now. Access to all of RQW's footage would be a fun thing to have, but valuing the combination of that and your name on something that hardly anyone's gonna watch at $5000 is bloody cheeky, to put it nicely. I like Len as a person from the probably less than 30 minutes I've spent talking to him, but he's rather pie-in-the-sky.

• Paid Members
Did RQW ever actually put out anything worth watching?

In a word? No.

Their live shows at York Hall (and, by all reports, Dartford later on) were a dull, dreary, tedious, soulless experience. Their idea of just taking a selection from promotions around the country and 'highlighting' them in one place just meant that you could see everything on the show elsewhere being done better.

I only saw 3-4 episodes of the TV show on TWC and that was shite too. Sure, they had impressive graphics, sound quality and video packages, which were indeed much better than anything else put out in the UK at that time, but the wrestling content itself just wasn't interesting. There were no storylines or feuds to keep you interested from week to week, there was nothing to build to, there was no background information or detail on the random cast of people who would appear on a given week, and if someone was featured one week, it could be a month or so before you saw them again.

I will be hosting the show

This is half the problem. RQW is sadly just a vehicle for him to be on TV and get "discovered." I remember seeing his website once and it just came across as a bit desperate and with this appeal, again, it just seems desperate. If he was to do more shows, he needs to think across the board about the product and firstly, rule himself out from being in front of the camera. You need someone youthful (and nice to look at male or female) if you're going to front the product like he used to. Then on top of that, cut the old guard like Alex Shane out and like people said before, proper storylines and feuds.

But it has to be done for the right reasons. Len needs to concentrate on being a good PRODUCER of TV. Maybe even learn how to do it properly?

• Paid Members
Sure, they had impressive graphics, sound quality and video packages, which were indeed much better than anything else put out in the UK at that time

Half right, I'd say. They were impressive because they were much better than anything else put out in the UK. Looking back, they're not actually that great and look about as budget as you'd expect from a British wrestling promotion with a bit of ambition. Nothing RQW ever put out looked properly slick, and it certainly wasn't TV quality. Everything good that RQW ever did was always good in context, but not much more than that.

• Paid Members

I guess this is the "big news" that was always around the corner; Len, cap in hand, "mirroring" the "achievements" of the original RQW show. I guess that means flat, small crowds watching heatless showcase matches, thrown together with little or no thought toward growing ANYTHING. Also, Tail End Charlie.

I'll be shocked if he gets $6 let alone $6,000.

At a time when wrestling world wide is struggling, there really isn't much hope for BritWres to become much bigger than what it is right now.

But there is a lot of good talent in the UK right now and talent will not be denied as exemplified by how many wrestlers we have abroad be it America or Japan.

Archived