The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

Well, the Carling Cup Draw has been made today?

Rochdale v Chesterfield

Port Vale v Huddersfield

Rotherham v Leicester

Hull v Macclesfield

Hartlepool v Sheffield United

Leeds v Bradford

Doncaster v Tranmere

Walsall v Middlesbrough

Barnsley v Morecambe

Accrington v Scunthorpe

Derby v Shrewsbury

Oldham v Carlisle

Bury v Coventry

Sheffield Wednesday v Blackpool

Burnley v Burton

Preston v Crewe

Nottingham Forest v Notts County

Brighton v Gillingham

AFC Bournemouth v Dagenham & Redbridge

Ipswich v Northampton

Cheltenham v MK Dons

Bristol Rovers v Watford

Plymouth v Millwall

Oxford v Cardiff

West Ham v Aldershot

Southampton v Torquay

Charlton v Reading

Portsmouth v Barnet

Stevenage v Peterborough

Southend v Leyton Orient

Wycombe v Colchester

Hereford v Brentford

Exeter v Yeovil

Bristol City v Swindon

Crystal Palace v Crawley/AFC Wimbledon

(All ties will be played during the week commencing Aug 8).

Who has your team got?

We have a home came vs Paolo Di Canio's Swindle Town. Should be a cracking derby affair which will probably see us lose We arent very good at Cup Games

League fixtures are out tomorrow

What are peoples hopes and dreams for the coming season ahead

Edit:

Fantasy League game up and running here

League code: 2032

Same logins as last year should work

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home to Morecambe.

Seeing as we lost to Rochdale at home last season, I'm not too confident - they played us off the park. However, we've got their old manager in Keith Hill, so hopefully there'll be more of the same. He certainly talks a good game, and I'm pretty impressed with the signings he's made so far.

Its just a shame we haven't got a pot to piss in - as with a decent budget I reckon he would be very good. I suppose that's the sign of football in Yorkshire - penniless and pathetic.

• Paid Members
He certainly talks a good game, and I'm pretty impressed with the signings he's made so far.

Really? They don't look great to me. Davies is limited although he did bang in goals in the bottom division. Perkins is apparently a tidy midfielder but he hasn't done a great deal before this season, same as Davies and he's knocking on a bit. They both look like signings of a team who are gearing up for League One!

Don't particularly agree about footy in Yorkshire being skint. Hull, Leeds and Huddersfield are in decent shape. Both us and Leeds brought on the problems ourselves anyway, same as Sheff Wednesday. Sheff United managed to get themselves relegated despite having a good budget and spending a load of money. Donny are well run and live within their means. Not really Yorkshire but Scunny are similar to Donny in that they survive by signing players and turning them into sale able assets. Bradford have a reasonable budget for their level too. Again, they brought on their own problems in the past.

Looking from afar, it seems that Barnsley's problem has been failing to make their own talent (though that lad Butterfield looks a player) and signing foreigners with no sell-on value. I hope you stay up though, I enjoy coming to Oakwell. My record of two wins, one draw and one 3-0 hammering isn't too shoddy either.

He certainly talks a good game, and I'm pretty impressed with the signings he's made so far.

Really? They don't look great to me. Davies is limited although he did bang in goals in the bottom division. Perkins is apparently a tidy midfielder but he hasn't done a great deal before this season, same as Davies and he's knocking on a bit. They both look like signings of a team who are gearing up for League One!

Don't particularly agree about footy in Yorkshire being skint. Hull, Leeds and Huddersfield are in decent shape. Both us and Leeds brought on the problems ourselves anyway, same as Sheff Wednesday. Sheff United managed to get themselves relegated despite having a good budget and spending a load of money. Donny are well run and live within their means. Not really Yorkshire but Scunny are similar to Donny in that they survive by signing players and turning them into sale able assets. Bradford have a reasonable budget for their level too. Again, they brought on their own problems in the past.

Looking from afar, it seems that Barnsley's problem has been failing to make their own talent (though that lad Butterfield looks a player) and signing foreigners with no sell-on value. I hope you stay up though, I enjoy coming to Oakwell. My record of two wins, one draw and one 3-0 hammering isn't too shoddy either.

I can see your point from the outside looking in.

The reason we're in the financial mire is that we generally spend a lot of money on wages for loan signings that don't give a shit eg. O'Connor and Harewood. It looks like Keith Hill wants to go the opposite way. Butterfield is superb prospect, as is Noble-Lazerus, and I'd rather build around youngsters who actually care.

I would say that most of Yorkshire is pretty financially fucked. Sheff United certainly are, especially with the relegation. Wednesday too, although Mandaric will help them. Leeds were, but seem to have emerged now out the other side - and you lot are too, now you're getting rid of a lot of the high earners.

I'm certainly going to give Hill a chance. In his press conference, he certainly showed more charisma then any of our managers since Dave Bassett. As for his signings? The last time we signed a striker who had scored 20+ goals a season (at any level) was when Adam was a lad, and Perkins will replace Colace - who was fucking useless last term.

Shackell is on his way to Derby shortly for a million apparently. He's got 2 years left on his contract and is 28. I'd be dissapointed with that fee, adn would be looking for 1.5million personally. But, if he wants to leave, then fuck him. Get the money, then invest it.

What's the situation at Cardiff? Money etc? From what I've seen most of their players have gone, and its a complete overhaul that needs to happen, probably the reason Shearer didnt take it, but im confused as to why Malky Mackay would go there if there isnt a big budget etc?

I mean Watford are hardly massive, but the job at Cardiff seems like a huge one, plus theyve finished in the top 6 last few years so a few fans will have an expectation of that again, which is going to be hard with having a bed in pretty much a new team.

Im probably well off, perhaps ther Cardiff lads on here can expand a bit.

• Paid Members
What's the situation at Cardiff? Money etc? From what I've seen most of their players have gone, and its a complete overhaul that needs to happen, probably the reason Shearer didnt take it, but im confused as to why Malky Mackay would go there if there isnt a big budget etc?

Watford have just sold two of their best players and anyone with any promise will go too. Mackay will always be limited there. Cardiff will have plenty of money to spend on wages and are a reasonable draw at this level. You're right though, it's a hell of a job to take on. They've lost nearly all of their star turns apart from Whittingham. It's one of those jobs that draws though, imagine being the guy who finally gets Cardiff into the PL and filling that stadium every week. It's attractive.

Max, is the Shackell to Derby deal done? We've been linked a little bit but our first choice seems to be Jack Hobbs at Leicester. We've got a bid in for him, around

Watford have just sold two of their best players and anyone with any promise will go too. Mackay will always be limited there. Cardiff will have plenty of money to spend on wages and are a reasonable draw at this level. You're right though, it's a hell of a job to take on. They've lost nearly all of their star turns apart from Whittingham. It's one of those jobs that draws though, imagine being the guy who finally gets Cardiff into the PL and filling that stadium every week. It's attractive.

Max, is the Shackell to Derby deal done? We've been linked a little bit but our first choice seems to be Jack Hobbs at Leicester. We've got a bid in for him, around

Regarding Shearer, i believe that he bottled it.

He'll never be a decent football manager in my opinion, but until he takes a real job and gives it a proper go (not counting that farce of a job he did at Newcastle) there will always be this myth surrounding him. He's better off sitting on his couch on MOTD sitting on the fence and offering absolutely nothing in the way of analysis week after week.

Actually, reading that it sounds like i hate the man which couldn't be further from the truth, easily the best centre forward i have ever seen in the famous blue & white halves, and between 92-97, probably the best in world football. I just don't think he is cut out for management.

Regarding Shearer, i believe that he bottled it.

He'll never be a decent football manager in my opinion, but until he takes a real job and gives it a proper go (not counting that farce of a job he did at Newcastle) there will always be this myth surrounding him. He's better off sitting on his couch on MOTD sitting on the fence and offering absolutely nothing in the way of analysis week after week.

Actually, reading that it sounds like i hate the man which couldn't be further from the truth, easily the best centre forward i have ever seen in the famous blue & white halves, and between 92-97, probably the best in world football. I just don't think he is cut out for management.

I'd tend to agree, apart from the Newcastle part, there were elements he could have done differently, but I think in the end we were going down regardless of who we had in for those last 8 games, the only part that really worried me was how little fight we put up, but that probably says more about the players than Shearer.

I think he did bottle it, but I would have probably done the same, like you say for him personally, he has a cushty job at MOTD and can't see that changing anytime soon, why put yourself through the trials and tribulations of management. His playing career has already cemented his legacy, and he's worshipped by three different sets of fans, so theres not an awful lot of reason to go into management and potentially tarnish his legacy.

What's the deal with that "Preliminary Round" tie between Crawley and AFC Wimbledon? Is that a new innovation this season?

Birmingham got relegated but qualified for europe so they dont enter while round 3 so that would leave an odd number of teams in round 1

so i presume they just picked Crawley and Wimbledon cos they just got promoted i suppose

Archived